• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from a64 3200 754..to 3500 939 pin worth it or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saints 26

As stated above I have the amd 64 3200 754. I wanted to go to the 939 pin 3500. I"ve read a few reviews,some say huge gain and some say only 5 percent. I have money to upgrade but the highend ati and nvidia cards are overpriced at the momnent I'll wait a couple of months when the dust clears on that one and see what card is superior in real apps.So i thought a mobo cpu combo would be a good upgrade now! So back to my original question is the 939 a viable upgrade from 754. Also i have a Ati radeon 9800 pro which can hold me for anotheer 2 months even with Doom 3 maybe not at preferred 1600 by 1200 with every thing cranked but we'll see. So worth it or not? Thanks

No. Wait for s939 with pci-e if you really want to go s939. Pretty much the only difference is dual-channel on s939, but the extra cache and overclockability on the s754 sorta makes up for only single-channel. I'd keep ur s754, get a nice next generation video card, and wait for s900.

Thanks for the reply ap673. I m leaning more towars your suggestion the more I resewrch this. I think I"ll go for the next gen vc and a 74 gig raptor.

IMO it's not worth is to wait for pci-e. Their won't be any benfits off the bat and people have plenty of time to upgrade 2-3 time before pci-e speed is actually mainstream. AGP will at least be around for 2 years or so. So, since you want a vid card for D3@max eye candy, an agp card is fine.

Personally, I would wait and get 2x6800u/x800xtpe in SLI and the fx-55 will be out by then. If you do that you may just get pci-e by default. :D

So yeah, i'd wait. But only since your system is still very high end for a while, and they're are a whole bunch of goodies coming out (Nforce4, ddr2, fx-55, pci-e, better ocing boards/stepping etc.) around the holiday season.

So yeah, i'd wait. But only since your system is still very high end for a while, and they're are a whole bunch of goodies coming out (Nforce4, ddr2, fx-55, pci-e, better ocing boards/stepping etc.) around the holiday season.
That's a good point. With a lot of this stuff I would wait until the platform matures. Giving S939 time not only brings the price down to more reasonable levels, but also gives engineers and people time to work out bugs, gain performance, etc.

And by waiting you will also get a clearer picture of what gains the again new socket will offer once it comes closer. (socket 900?)

Besides that, you're pretty much as fast as it gets already. There's barely any gain from going from 754 to 939. Investing in a new video card and/or hard drives would be worth a lot more to you, I'd think.

Thanks guys i knew i would get my answer from this fourm,you guys are cool! I'm taking your advice and holding off it"s the x800xt pe and dual raptors for me! Thanks again!

FYI - the X800 PE (according to that review) does better than the top nVidia card when it comes to AA and AF. That's why I like ATi these days.

what about someone that has a 1800XP and wants a big jump and stay with it for at least 2 years before the next upgrade?

to go s939 you'll need ~600$
to go s754 you'll need ~200$

both perform similarly and if you want to go s939 later on, you'll be able to, with that 400$ you saved from going s754 now.

both perform similarly and if you want to go s939 later on, you'll be able to, with that 400$ you saved from going s754 now.
Good point, but it does assume you have $600 to drop on these. You could wait a while and probably pay something like $300/$400 for S939. I think that platform has more potential (most would agree), but it's going to take a little longer to mature.

By the time S939 matures, S900 will be out, and that is what AMD really wants to make mainstream.

Hell i'm stayin with my XP-M and getting a 6800ultra, which will definatly do until S900 comes out and S939 becomes as cheap as S754, which may very well be end of 2004/beginning of 2005.

ap673 said:
By the time S939 matures, S900 will be out, and that is what AMD really wants to make mainstream.

they should really decide already...

is a whole new socket REALLY needed for every little change they make? its called built in obsolecence. and with most companies creeping up on "walls" when it comes to ramping up speeds, i think its here to stay.

Back