• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from Ryzen 5 3500 for gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lmastleyjapan

Hi there

Please forgive me. I did try researching myself, but maybe IÂ’m just not computer literate. I donÂ’t really get it.

IÂ’m rocking a ryzen 5 3500, with a rtx 3070, 16gb ram and a 144hz 1440p monitor. After doing some tests with msi afterburner stats overlay, I think I may want to upgrade my CPU if I want to make use of my new 144hz monitor, but I canÂ’t for the life of me figure out what a decent upgrade from this CPU would actually be. I primarily play games like battlefield and they tend to hit my cpu hard past 60 fps.

Any ideas?

Thank you

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Your only choice, if you're staing on that platform, is the 5000 series. I'd grab a 5800X. More cores/threads and better CPU. Otherwise, your best bet is to get into Intel's new Alder Lake-based systems. But you'd need a new motherboard.

trents

What is the make and model of your motherboard? What is the speed of your RAM?

https://www.game-debate.com/news/25...ttlefield-v-pc-performance-bf5-cpu-benchmarks

This article is a little dated but:

"The first thing that should be mentioned is that Battlefield V will chew up everything you throw at it. It's utilising 100% of the CPU in practically every benchmark test, aside from in 6 Cores / 12 Threads where there are a few percentage points of headroom. Battlefield 5 is unrelenting on this front, which could be problematic if you want to run a few other programs alongside BFV.

Aside from that though, we can see core count doesn't begin to affect Battlefield V's PC performance until we drop below quad-core with multithreading. Anyone with a 4 Core/8 Thread CPU is unlikely to see Battlefield V's performance bottlenecked by their CPU."

You would probably see a modest improvement by going to a 3600X. Your current CPU only has 6 threads. If you have a 5xx series motherboard, the 5600X would give you even a little more boost.