• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Help....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike521

Hey all, if anyone could give me some info and help me in making an upgrade decision, I'd really appreciate it!

I'd like to upgrade to something in the vicinity of 333 mhz fsb, 2.2 ghz or better, 512 mb ddr ram....

I've done some looking around on these message boards and pricewatch.com and I just want to try and not get ripped off.

I'd like to get either an ASUS or an Abit mobo, I'm thinking VIA KT400, PC3200 memory, and Athlon XP 2600 (2.16 ghz I think?)

so pricewatch had this site selling this system:

Asus A7V8X-X DDR MB 333FSB
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.13Ghz

for 225 including shipping

then at another store I can get a stick of 512 mb pc3200 ddr memory by corsair, for as cheap as 85 and as much as 110 or so...

so bottom line is I could get all this stuff for figure no more than 350...

you guys think its worth it? I may need to replace my 300 watt power supply also..

It all depends what you're looking to do with the computer and if you plan on overclocking at all.

hmm yea I would overclock a bit, nothing hardcore but just a little, thanks for the mobo tip..

is that mobo in the same price range? what chipset it is, nforce? I thought nforce sucked at first? its better now?

could you guys tell me about the chipset? is it nforce? if so, didn't the first nforce suck? is this one better? tell me your opinions please, you guys are the experts!

Back