• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can bet that it will be incrementally better... just like Maxwell was to Fermi. It, like previous generations, will be fine for gaming. The article even states that performance per watt is improved. Just how much in gaming is yet to be determined. Particularly in DX12 and async. ;)

All the talk about scientific computing and performance per watt levees me to believe Nvidia does not have much to say about gaming performance, that is all I care about.

How many FPS was it from Maxwell to Fermi?

All the talk about scientific computing and performance per watt levees me to believe Nvidia does not have much to say about gaming performance, that is all I care about.

How many FPS was it from Maxwell to Fermi?
You are coming to conclusions with information that doesn't allow you to make that leap. ;)

For example, look at the GTX 970 and 980 compared to the 780 and 770... 250W cards in the 780 and 770 vs 165/150W cards with better performance in the 970 and 980.
The 780Ti to 980 was ~7%, 970 to 780 was ~11% and 970 to 770 was ~15% (at 1080).
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/26.html

Now... if you compare flagship to flagship... you see 250W performance for both 780Ti and 980Ti, yet the 980Ti spanks the 780Ti by ~26%
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/31.html

26% is a HELL of an increase performance wise with the same power envelope. ;)

Last edited:
Hence my "if It's even half", ofc it's just wishful thinking. It's supposedly 10x faster in direct computing then a Titan X, so halve that for expectations, halve that again for realistic gaming performance ? 25% extra speed for gaming isn't bad at all "if the price it right" ;)

Ok that sounds good, hoping pascal is 25% faster in gaming.:beer: The price seems to be right every year, the same price.

Back