• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dullhan

Hello all!

I'm a first-time user of the site and I was told I could find great recommendations on the best route to upgrade my current rig.

My goal is to be able to keep up with highest level graphics on some games I play and just have solid computing power for some random programs revolving around data modeling.
Ideally a way to get fans a little quieter would be fantastic as well, or to figure out another form of cooling.

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated, especially on what to go for first. I'll admit my knowledge of computer parts and overclocking is limited past putting in more RAM or swapping out a fan for my processor.

Current Build
1. Intel i5-9400F @ 2.90 GHz
2. ASUSTek Computer - PRIME B360M-A
3. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
4. TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan DDR4 32 GB (8GBx4) 2400MHz (PC4-19200)
5. 120 GB SSD - 1 TB HDD
6. CyberPower GXiVR8480A Case
7. Main Fan - Noctua Brand (not sure on exact type)
8. Windows 10 Home

Starting Budget - $1000-1500 (possibly more)

Thank you all for the input,
Dullhan

Hi & :welcome: to the Forum.
IMO you have a decent core system (CPU, mobo, RAM). Tell us about your monitor's resolution and refresh rate. Also tell us about your power supply unit.
A larger SSD might be nice.

Thank you for the welcome!

I currently have the following two monitors:

-AOC C32G2 32" Curved Frameless Gaming Monitor FHD, 1500R Curved VA, 165Hz
- ASUS TUF Gaming 27” 1080P Monitor (VG279QR) - Full HD, IPS, 165Hz

My current power supply is:
- Thermaltake Smart Series 80 Plus - 600W if I read the box correctly.

Thanks!

Some quick comments. I bet there will be tips from other users.

I see it's a branded PC and pretty much everything is without changes.

The case doesn't seem to have great airflow so if you want to keep it then I would recommend sticking with lower wattage components (especially if you want to keep it quiet).

I would get a 12600K + Noctua cooler or any other good brand that will fit (have to check if you can install a 160mm tall cooler or something smaller). Noctua is mentioned so there is a chance to save some and buy only a mounting kit for LGA1700 (I'm not sure what cooler is in use).
The 12600K heats up significantly less than higher CPUs while it's more than enough for games.

RAM can stay as long as you pick the DDR4 motherboard. It will save about $400 which would cost DDR5. The motherboard depends on what features you need but generally, I would get something from MSI.

I would replace gaming storage with M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD. It will probably help more than the new CPU. There are many good brands right now as many share similar components so it's more a matter of capacity as it highly affects the price.

In the given budget, you can have something around RTX3060Ti/70/70Ti. I would recommend spending some more and finding a good deal on the RTX3080. However, it may get hot in that case (I'm still not sure about the airflow looking at the pictures).
If you want games to run at higher FPS then it's better to invest in a graphics card than the CPU.

The PSU should be enough.

Some quick comments. I bet there will be tips from other users.

I see it's a branded PC and pretty much everything is without changes.

The case doesn't seem to have great airflow so if you want to keep it then I would recommend sticking with lower wattage components (especially if you want to keep it quiet).

I would get a 12600K + Noctua cooler or any other good brand that will fit (have to check if you can install a 160mm tall cooler or something smaller). Noctua is mentioned so there is a chance to save some and buy only a mounting kit for LGA1700 (I'm not sure what cooler is in use).
The 12600K heats up significantly less than higher CPUs while it's more than enough for games.

RAM can stay as long as you pick the DDR4 motherboard. It will save about $400 which would cost DDR5. The motherboard depends on what features you need but generally, I would get something from MSI.

I would replace gaming storage with M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD. It will probably help more than the new CPU. There are many good brands right now as many share similar components so it's more a matter of capacity as it highly affects the price.

In the given budget, you can have something around RTX3060Ti/70/70Ti. I would recommend spending some more and finding a good deal on the RTX3080. However, it may get hot in that case (I'm still not sure about the airflow looking at the pictures).
If you want games to run at higher FPS then it's better to invest in a graphics card than the CPU.

The PSU should be enough.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I've noticed the case itself running quite hot sometimes so I'm open to swapping it if it'll help with airflow. On that part my question would be figuring out spacing and transferring all the components as it'll be a first for me.

I'll look into the processor upgrade, I should have enough clearance for the 160mm for the fan.

After upgrading the processor and getting everything on to an SSD, graphics card-wise I was looking at an RTX 3070 at current prices, unless a RTX3080 would be vastly better.

Thank you.

Yeah, I looked up your PC & yikes - that case front panel! It looks really nice, but seems horrible for airflow. Do you own a hole saw kit & power drill? I think the front panel is that bad. The standout keyword for new cases is 'mesh'.

IMO a RTX 3070 would be a great pairing with your 1080p monitors. You might want to look at equivalent AMD video cards (RX 6700XT ot RX6750 XT) because they are currently less expensive and a little easier to get.

Yeah, I looked up your PC & yikes - that case front panel! It looks really nice, but seems horrible for airflow. Do you own a hole saw kit & power drill? I think the front panel is that bad. The standout keyword for new cases is 'mesh'.

IMO a RTX 3070 would be a great pairing with your 1080p monitors. You might want to look at equivalent AMD video cards (RX 6700XT ot RX6750 XT) because they are currently less expensive and a little easier to get.
Legitimately thinking about taking your suggestion and actually carving out the front and some of the top to then put in some kind of mesh. I've always seen the three fans in the front but never paid attention to the airtake being absolutely tiny.

Thanks so much for noting that!

If I'm right then you can simply remove the front panel. I'm not sure how it's installed but I saw someone running that PC without the front.

I agree with Woomack, you should be able to just remove the front panel and let those fans really move some air. If you were to do that you should get some fan guards to prevent finger or paw accidents. :eek:

I would approach it with my hole saws & drill two 92mm hole above & below the panel logo and a 120mm hole in front of the top fan. Then I would install fan guards (1ea 120mm, 2ea 92mm) to the front panel instead of to the fans. I admit, just removing the front & installing wire guards would be a lot faster & easier, but modding the front panel would look better IMHO. Either way you will end up with much better airflow & save the cost of buying a new case.

CYBERPOWERPC-Gamer-Xtreme-GXiVR8480A-front.jpg

WireFanGuard.jpg

pretty sure thats a Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5, and i wouldnt bother with cutting holes, theres hardly any ventilation out the top, back or coming in from the bottom.
i'd save the $75 in work, and maybe tools, and invest in a better case

i have a be quiet PURE BASE 500 with a 360mm aio jammed in front and every fan hole fanned and it does well for what it cost. they frequently go on sale, i think mine was $65 when i got it.
aside from that its a really well built case for the price. i have another case the components this one came out of thats bigger cooler and quieter but it also weighs 60 lbs. just saying the be quiet isnt the best end all case but for the price its pretty good. way better than what you got in terms of airflow now.

Back