• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to ryzen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Glock95

Hey guys I just have a quick question for you, i'm running a 3930k overclocked to 4.4ghz with 2 GTX 980tis in sli and 16gb of 1866DDR3

Well recently i bought a 3440x1440 monitor and its been a lil more taxing than i expected :mad:, so im wondering what the experts on here think. I really dont wanna upgrade my video cards unless u guys really feel like i should, but I was thinking ryzen maybe was the next step? Basically what im asking is, is it worth it to upgrade to the new platform and expect a huge gain in performance or is it not really worth it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and sorry to ask a question on something thats probably been asked a million times but i cant find anything reguarding to my specific set up

No for gaming I dont think it would be as fast as what you currently have .
If you need more gaming power I would suggest selling your 980ti's and starting with one 1080ti (so you can move to 2 if you have to ) or wait a few months to see what Vega is like .

4GHz Ryzen will offer similar performance in games. Maybe a bit better but it won't count much. I just can say that comparing my results on 1700X and 5820K ( which is a bit faster than 3930K but not that much ).

Not yet maybe a bit later when all dust settle down and they put fixes across all boards for RAM.

I had no issues on ASUS and Gigabyte boards with my memory kits. I doubt they make much more with memory performance if they won't add memory multipliers. Max clocks are already specified by AMD and only two single rank modules are showing higher frequency. Everything else can barely reach 2666. In some cases you may stuck at DDR4-1866 what is just pathetic.

What games are you playing on the Ultrawide? My 780ti is keeping up pretty well with almost everything I play. I can't imagine dual 980ti's are struggling THAT bad, are they?

Yeah thats what I thought, Its just crazy to me that they havent came along performance wise in processors for this long. I just wanted to get a second opinion ya know :). I would love to upgrade to 1080tis but spending this amount this quick isnt really fesable at this moment. I can only dream of it XD

As for Tyerker ummm I play alot of games but like rainbow 6 seige on Max settings im averaging about 40FPS Which coming from a old 1080p 144hz monitor getting about 80-90 ish is something i wasnt expecting and in For honor im getting about 50-55ish, so for super twitchy games its definately affecting me but turning down the settings a bit i can deal with it. It was definately worth it will the amount extra i can see. I was just thinking I would get a little more FPS than im currently getting is all

I see, I see. Siege especially is intensive. I think a single 1080 or 1080ti would probably be alright. I'm amazed that this 780ti is keeping up with GTA V at full resolution and High detail pretty well. I never notice any perceivable lag until I'm in heavily forested areas driving. But I got the 4790K after the 6700k was out for the very same reason. a 4+ GHz i7 is going to handle most gaming tasks easily for another few years. If you don't do heavy intensive workstation loads, the Ryzen won't be as much benefit as a new GPU. Plus, far less heat and power draw with the single 10-series card.

What we were saying is SELL your 980 ti's. they go for around $360 these days. Get both to sell and get a GTX 1080 ti, which is $699 for the 11gb version on average. you Actually MAKE money. $20. :)

LOL yeah ur probably right supressor, Anyone wanna buy some 980tis!? XD

Back