• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded CPU, now my computer is burning alive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aleforge

Registered
Hey guys,

I went from a i7 920 to a Xeon X5650 running on a Asus P6X58.

Considering the CPU is lower wattage I can't see it over taxing anything. As the world burns (the smell is really bad) the PC works fine. It's so odd as I expected it to either not start, or at least crash. The smell starts to form in only about 30 seconds. I also notice a weird sound once it gets to windows, almost like a HD crunching away. However I only have SSD's and do not have a DVD drive. My video card has made a whining noise before, so maybe I can hear this odd noise now that my CPU fan is nearly silent (doubt it).

The only component that feels hot is the Northbridge heat sink. I can't really touch it after 30-45 seconds. It's held down with a spring and can easily move. BUT I figure if the sink on it is burning hot it's pulling heat from the NB.

Ok, so can bad CPU's make any sort of noise? Could the northbridge be burning alive? I don't see any swelling capacitors and although usually the PSU's are guilty I don't smell anything from its insides once it's fans are shut down.

UPDATE: I did some more digging, perhaps it's not the northbridge thats getting hot, but the VRM bank. And I believe I miss guessed the component. It seems the SB and NB are sharing the same heatpipe running between them. And this is a row of black rectangles next to the CPU. So... if I am on the right path why all of a sudden are these melting, and why have they not failed already?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Which Asus P6X58 do you have there's a few different ones out there and so far the only one I found with "official" support is the Asus P6X58-EWS. One big difference between the Xeon and i7 is the memory bandwidth and if the X58 chips is getting that hot you may want to check in BIOS what the voltage is hitting add a fan check the TIM

Sorry I should've put that down, It is the ASUS P6X58-E-WS

This is the suspect area:
After searching around it looks like VRM bank? The BIOS recognizes the CPU and I set it to load defaults. Although I know that doesn't fully matter in regards to your question. I am at work atm or I would share the information.

You're right that's the VRM. The foirst thing I would do is turn that CPU cooler 90° so it exhausts out the back and not into the PSU. On top of that if you have a graphics card below it it'll be picking up hot air from it as well compounding the heat in the system.
As for the noises, CPU shouldn't make any, the VRM can whine a bit. But a "crunching" HDD noise check fans aren't contacting anything then the PSU. How old is the PSU and what make is it? The new CPU although being slower has added 4 threads that need to be powered.

Thanks Johan for helping me out!

I will turn it around, and ya I have a graphics card it will be blowing on, but I leave my case open anyhow so hopefully that might help. All fans have plenty of clearance. I thought at first the fan that came with the new cooler was bad and burning up, but switched it out. I can picture my PSU in my mind but can not remember exactly what it is (as mentioned not home). It's either a 700watt Corsair or EVGA. I know it has modular cables and wasn't cheap (lol). I have been using it for around 3 years without issues, but I know they can easily go out (had a few do so before). However they never smelled like this. This is a very strong "toxic" chemical electronic smell, hard to explain. But it fills the entire room quickly and is probably killing me.

Once again thank you for the help!

That smell if it's what I think it is, is something frying. It might be a good idea at this point to tear the PC down and check the motherboard for any burnt spots. Continuing to run it isn't going to make it better. That could be the source of the cracking/popping noise that you heard. I would also look for ant spots that could be grounding to the case. Cooler touching something especially the bracket on the back of the mobo..

Agreed... running it further isn't a great idea. If nothing is dead now it will be... and you would want to hope it doesn't take anything else down with it.

It "seemed" like the new cooler bracket isn't touching it. But it is metal (stock one was plastic), and sticks up a bit more. I do have the pads underneath it though. BUT that's a good idea, I wonder if it's something like that but still works might survive? So would the new CPU burn up the VRMs? You mentioned the core issue, but the CPU needs less voltage. However you also mentioned my mobo should support it.

OK, so take everything apart, look for burned areas. If the VRM heatsink is getting hot that should mean it's touching the chips right?

Your motherboard should handle the CPU fine and yes if the HS is hot to touch it's making contact. Usually, a bit of airflow will help which I feel turning the cooler would actually get the air moving across the VRM where at present that hot air is just swirling around up in the top. After you have everything out if you don't find any obvious damage I would build the PC outside of the case to rule out any short and it'll be easier to find the noise/smell

Reading through this for the first time I'm with the boys above, something isn't right. I would still go into the BIOS as well and see where other voltages are set, not just the Cpu voltage. Additionally, just because that cpu is a lower TDP processor, doesn't mean it's drawing less voltage under normal conditions. That said the board shouldn't be having an issue with it.

Another thing to check is the cpu 12v power connection as well as the 24pin atx connection. If the got bumped during the cpu swap they may not be seated correctly and could be overheating/melting as well and if they are arcing they can make a crackling sound.

That VRM section on that board looks beastly, you would really have to be pulling some power to overheat that unless it is not dividing the load equally among all the phases.

OK, first of all thanks to everyone for helping me out, I appreciate it!

I did do what everyone suggested last night and came up with what I think is the culprit. I first tore down the entire board including the new cooler and flipped the board around to check for burned area's (including PSU connectors). I did not see anything, but was able to smell the board closely and found the odor strongest in the area of the VRM bank. So I removed the heat sink and checked it out and again I really didn't see anything melted at the time. So I reassembled carefully and fired it back up. Right after windows booted, the smell started again. So I changed out the XEON for my old 920 and tried a second time, no luck. I noticed something really odd though and it might shed some light on the mystery.

The board does not smell hanging out in the bios, or make any weird noises. I let it run for 10 minutes and not only did it not start burning, but the heat sink on the VRM was cool to the touch. This gave me a tiny bit of hope, so I reset the system. As soon as the windows logo appeared everything went down hill. The noise came back (it's getting worse) and it reminds me of constricted water. Like when you crimp a hose, or when a toilet is trying to top off (if that makes sense). Once windows was loaded it took 20 seconds and the smell filled the room.....

This morning I uploaded a photo of the VRM (heatsink removed) and it was not until I blew it up that I noticed something wrong. It seems one of the chips has two spots where a solder bubbled formed. And it's leads seem a bit discolored. None of the other chips look like this. I know at this point I am SOL and I had even ordered a new PSU (arrives today) thinking that might be the issue. But this most likely is the culprit.

So now... it looks like I have to buy a new MB and CPU and just give up, although I am temped to drag it outside and watch it melt down. Weird thing is this PC has ran great for 9 years, until I upgraded to the XEON. I wonder if it's faulty and screwed things up (prob not) or maybe I bumped the VRMs heatsink and it made contact? I did notice the rubber pad was pretty worn with possible holes forming.

Thanks!

I was thinking that, just a bit off put at the timing. I was worried I would get a new one then the chip would smoke another mosfet. It's so weird that I ran it for 9 years and once I swapped to the XEON it was done.

Like I said before the Xeon was a higher power draw than the i7 which sped up the process. Using the original CPU it might have lasted another or a year no way to tell but that chip is toast looking at the pic. As E_D said CPU is likely fine. You got 9 years out of it which is great and about the life expectancy for components like this under optimal conditions.

I was suggested the Xeon X5650 due to lower wattage, supposedly it runs cooler and is better at overclocking. 95W vs 130W.
Am I confused on how that all works? I know it has more cores?

I am wondering if it's a good idea to replace the Mosfet that looks burned, due to the 1366 boards being hard to get these days.

And ya I agree, 9 years out of the board is pretty good and I shouldn't complain. I am a bit worried about buying another off of ebay, but I suppose the chance of it instantly dying is slim.

I am wondering if it's a good idea to replace the Mosfet that looks burned, due to the 1366 boards being hard to get these days.
If you htink you can solder that tiny thing properly...

... but I would rather spend my time looking for a new board.... or gettng the heck off that outdated platform. ;)

I was suggested the Xeon X5650 due to lower wattage, supposedly it runs cooler and is better at overclocking. 95W vs 130W.
Am I confused on how that all works? I know it has more cores?

And ya I agree, 9 years out of the board is pretty good and I shouldn't complain. I am a bit worried about buying another off of ebay, but I suppose the chance of it instantly dying is slim.

Those numbers are TDP Watts. Basically the amount of heat the CPU produces under normal loads. It really isn't the same as the amount of cuurent they will draw.
This isn't perfect but it does illustrate what I mean
i7 920 under load ~ 213W full system draw http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2582&page=3
x5660 didn't find a 50 handy but this is close enough for you to see the point. Look at the intel burn test 309W average and 350 max http://www.overclock-and-game.com/hardware/computer-tech-reviews/28-x5660-review?showall=&start=4

I would assume motherboard HDD etc. system usage to be very similar but even if it's not you can see it's easily 100W more power from the CPU

That makes sense... obviously the person who told me that was a bit uninformed. Which makes me wonder if at some point the wattage spikes, perhaps right when it loads the OS. Which might've pushed that old tired Mosfet off a cliff. They are cheap, I mean well if you are fine waiting a month to get them. Ebay sellers have them for 10 bucks for 10pcs. Free shipping via pigeon. I am fairly "OK" at soldering. Another 1366 board would run 100+, scared it might just blow up also (lol).

Quick question and I think you answered it, my model motherboard should be able to handle the XEON without catching fire?

Your board was on ASUS CPU support list. It has quite an array of VRM so it should handle it no issue, it's just old. Even if you manage to repair it something else might decide to quit. Personally, I think you're wasting time.

Back