• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrades - AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steroid

Registered
Hello everyone,

I know this has been raised a lot already and even after reading all the posts here about the FX9590 I would like just to get some clarity from some more experienced members before I got ahead and purchased everything (or make the wrong purchase).
So first of all I do not plan to overclock, only ever played with GPU oc'ing a few years back. Just want a decent upgrade for gaming. So my main question is FX8350 or FX9590 after reading up here about the stability on the FX9590 I am starting to really lean a lot towards the FX8350 tbh. Here are the upgrades for the new build:
Motherboard: ASRock 970A-G/3.1
CPU: FX9590 or FX8350
GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro (Already have the first, planning to purchase a second one)
PSU: Fortron AURUM Pro 1200W 80+ Gold or EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2, 80 PLUS GOLD
RAM: KINGSTON 2 x 4 GB DDR III 1600 HyperX FURY as I already have 2 of these
Cooler: DeepCool CAPTAIN 360 or CoolerMaster Nepton 240M or Corsair Hydro H110i GT
Case: NZXT Noctis 450

So the question really is should a non avid overclocker purchase the FX9590 and if so how diffuclt would it be for a newbie to stabilize it, as from the posts I have been reading it's a lot of trial and error and hic ups here and there.
Thank you for any help and advice in advance.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Not sure about the Mobo since it's fairly new. I just worked with the ASUS 970 Gaming pro and it's decent, I ran my 9370 in it without issue. The asrocks to date haven't had the best luck with the AMD FX. Hard to say how the new ones will fare. The memory if you're going to buy new I would suggest G.skill 1866 Cl9 sometimes Kingston has issue with this platform or just try the memory you have now if it works fine go with it. 16 GB is overkill and too much load for the FX IMC. Save some $$ on the PSU and get something in the 600-700w range unless you plan on getting another GFX card in the future. The EvgaG2 is a good choice though. As for the CPU i would get the 8370 myself.
BTW Welcome to OCF steroid :welcome:

OP
Steroid

Steroid

Registered
Thank you for the welcome Johan :)
Well tbh AsRock have proved to be quite decent in my own experience, as in the past two years I have had two. Currently have the ASROCK 970 PRO3 R2.0 with a FX6300 and a Cooler Master Hyper 103 cooler.
I haven't had any issues with this set up so far, as in hangs or shut offs. I was looking at G.Skill's tbh however I am not able to find any where I am and have read about posts regarding the Kingstons having issues with the FX's however with 2 FX6300 and both with Kingstons 1600's I haven't had any issues so far. I know there is a major difference between the two CPU's of course.
Regarding the PSU, I actually had a Fortron Hyper 700W and sold it, currently using a Fractal Design 1000W from a buddy as I got the first GPU (Sapphire R9 390 Nitro) already and will be getting a second with the upgrades. So just a question for the PSU with 2x Sapphire R9 390 Nitro's the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G2 would be sufficient? Should I stay away from the 1200W (perhaps it's over kill but I mainly chose this to be on the safe side if I were to get the FX9590)

Update: I found GSkill's here, great, I can try the Kingstons with the new build and if there are issues I can swap out with those GSkill's you mentioned. Just a question though does it matter if it were Snipers, Aegis or Ripjaws?)

Last edited:

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
The Evga SuperNova will be more then enough Psu to drive a 83xx and 2 Gpu's even overclocked, unless you plan on doing some extreme overclocking.

No it's shouldn't make a difference with the different type of G. Skill, just look for the best bang for the money ie best timings for the price.

OP
Steroid

Steroid

Registered
Thank you very much for the input Mandrake, I think I'll go ahead with the FX8350 then and the EVGA SuperNova. Regarding the coolers which of the 3 above would be best? And perhaps one that would also handle a bit of overclocking for the FX8350 if I were to try out later on.

OP
Steroid

Steroid

Registered
Great, thanks again that should settle it for all the parts, just have to see if it likes the RAM if not I'll change to the G-Skill's.

bob4933

Fair warning, FX doesn't play nicely with kingston ram typically. When i ran Kingston ram on my AMD system, I actually had to downclock the ram to ~1400mhz to get it stable.

RJARRRPCGP

Fair warning, FX doesn't play nicely with kingston ram typically. When i ran Kingston ram on my AMD system, I actually had to downclock the ram to ~1400mhz to get it stable.

When I was using a Kingston HyperX 4 GB stick, I didn't notice anything like that... It passed all tests, even at 800 Mhz... (1600)

In fact, the only reason I'm not using that stick anymore is because 4 GB is too small for future stuff...

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
When I was using a Kingston HyperX 4 GB stick, I didn't notice anything like that... It passed all tests, even at 800 Mhz... (1600)

In fact, the only reason I'm not using that stick anymore is because 4 GB is too small for future stuff...
It's not all the time, but Bob isn't making it up either. We have seen many times where people are having issues trying to run Kingston sticks with a Fx.