• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrades, What should i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hyperion626

Registered
I am hosting a Minecraft server which is currently about 3GB/150k files. I have been looking to beef up my system so it can handle anything i throw at it. I've always been a DIYer but i don't want to throw money down and hope it turns out well like the first PC i built.

So I was hopping you guys might tell me what needs to be upgraded and what will be best for what I am using it for.

P.S. the server is 24/7 and i enjoy playing games like GTA4 and Grid while the server is running

System:
HD: 120gb Samsung SSD 830
Ram: 3x2GB ddr2 Clk: 400Mhz timing: 6-6-6-18 model: hymp125u64cp8-s6
Mobo: Asus M4A785-M
Gpu: Evga GTX 660
Cpu: Phenom II X4 955 black edition
Psu: 850W

I know the Mobo and Ram are bottle necks, will the Cpu be a problem? any suggestions on what to get? (tight budget about $300)

If you want to be able to have a powerful minecraft server, you want as much RAM as you can get. I would say no less than 8GB, but I run 16GB on all my computers.

I know it sounds bad, but I suggest you get a new Mobo, CPU, and all new RAM. This along with the new OS you need will be about $450-$500 USD. But it will help alot.

I'll look into seeing what I can help you with on a $300 budget though.

EDIT: Do you plan on overclocking your CPU in the future? Do you have brand preference (Intel or AMD) and what kind of case do you have?

I have a full sized case (not sure or model)
I have been looking at
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX
Ram: F3-1600C9D-16GXM

will 1600 vs 1866 make a big difference on clock speeds?

I would prefer AMD but that is more about cost, A new OS is no problem i have a few copies of Windows 7 ultimate i can use (i refuse to go to Windows 8)

I dont have any real desire to overclock, though the thought has crossed my mind more than once.

Last edited:
My first computer I built actually had a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX haha, so I agree with that. I got an AMD FX-6100 Black edition CPU for it then bought a 8250 or something, Never used it.

1866 is the faster RAM but for price (if you plan on gettin 16GB) i'd stick with 1600 for now.

If you plan on overclocking, I suggest getting a better CPU cooler than the stock one that comes with a new CPU. That being said, alot of aftermarket CPU coolers are pretty large, so keep that in mind when you look for RAM (My CPU cooler was so big that I couldnt fit 2 of my 4 Corsair Vengeance RAM sticks in their slots)

AMD usually has some good free gifts when you buy their products too. I've recieved about $120 in free games just from parts i buy.

EDIT: When it comes to CPU affecting Minecraft server and game performance, the game isn't optimized for multi-core use (even though there are programs you can get that will "allow" it, Although these programs aren't 100% stable.

Last edited:
The two types of ram i was looking at both cost $124
one is 1600Mhz at 9-9-9
the other is 1866 at 10-11-10 both are gskill
should i go for timing or clock?

What CPU would you recommend? I have always wanted an 8 core though that would do absolutely nothing for a minecraft server. Do you know of any CPUs with a high single core frequency? i have gotten mine to 4.0 but not long term

Edit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231560
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568

Last edited:
The higher clock speed is better, but the lower timing is also better. I have gSkill RAM on my main rig - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231497.
It works great for what I do (Alot of gaming, video/photo editing, streaming.)

As for CPUs, I've noticed that when overclocking, 8 core AMD processors tend to get hot FAST. I could get higher clocks with my 6 core, but quad cores are the safest in my opinion. Check out this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113326.

Hmmm after looking at the ram i think i will go with the higher clock speed becouse it also has a faster transfer rate and 15% off, i will probably wait on a cpu because its not nearly as bad as my motherboard/ram and i don't want to go too cheap on either.

If anyone else has something to add feel free, but i feel confident in these upgrades Thanks!

Just make sure that your Mobo and CPU support the advertised clock speed. If it does not, (which i know the Mobo should) then you will have to over clock your RAM.

say if i remember that Mobo should support 1866 by default and i think 2k max, but thanks again for your help!

i didn't buy yet, however i plan to update the cpu soon, loosing some performance for awhile isn't a big deal, unless it wont work at all, the it would be a problem

If you dont mind me asking where did it say that 1333 was the max? was it 667 MHz Memory controller?

I see it now thanks, Im not going to have any problems temporarily using my current cpu with 1866mhz ram will i?

DO NOT buy a UD3 they have a lot of problems. Better save up some cash and get a Asus Sabertooth or even better a Asus Crosshair Formula V.

what rev? rev3 is a piece of s**t

The list of issues:
1. No APM disable option

2.Voltages are wonky
example: i am runnin VID+0.050v in bios and in cpu-z the voltage is just VID no added 0.050...not even when the load comes on

3. It`s a very hot running mobo

4.double POST sort-of
example: i turn it on ,works 3 secs then off ,after 10 secs automatic on

5.heatsinks are not really attached i can move them with 1 finger.

6.LLC very wonky
example: regular gives me more juice then extreme

7.BIOS goes back to default every now-and-then

8.incorrect voltages shown in HWmon

9.no socket temp as far as i can figure, or maybe just bad sensor

what rev? rev3 is a piece of s**t

The list of issues:
1. No APM disable option

2.Voltages are wonky
example: i am runnin VID+0.050v in bios and in cpu-z the voltage is just VID no added 0.050...not even when the load comes on

3. It`s a very hot running mobo

4.double POST sort-of
example: i turn it on ,works 3 secs then off ,after 10 secs automatic on

5.heatsinks are not really attached i can move them with 1 finger.

6.LLC very wonky
example: regular gives me more juice then extreme

7.BIOS goes back to default every now-and-then

8.incorrect voltages shown in HWmon

9.no socket temp as far as i can figure, or maybe just bad sensor

I don't have my stuff with me at the moment, I am at work.

I overclocked my FX-6100 1.5GHz over stock clock without any problems in voltage.

Never "double POSTed"

I've literally lifted my mobo up by the heatsinks, no problem.

LLC is optimized other than using extreme. I didn't use extreme.

I did notice my BIOS default automatically once. But only once.

HWmon is a common problem, the readings are off for all FX series CPUs

Yeah, the board ran a little warm. But I thought it was just my case.

Back