• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrades, What should i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tungureanu

(Russian) Member
I don't have my stuff with me at the moment, I am at work.

I overclocked my FX-6100 1.5GHz over stock clock without any problems in voltage.

Never "double POSTed"

I've literally lifted my mobo up by the heatsinks, no problem.

LLC is optimized other than using extreme. I didn't use extreme.

I did notice my BIOS default automatically once. But only once.

HWmon is a common problem, the readings are off for all FX series CPUs

Yeah, the board ran a little warm. But I thought it was just my case.

Because it's not Rev3. Mine is .....and once i get a CHV or Sabertooth i will set the giga on fire

Knufire

Yeah guys. Just because I've had issues with my board, it means that everyone else does too and therefore it's a bad product...

The double POST thing isn't an issue with your board, lots of boards do it, both Intel and AMD.

Heatsinks on motherboards wobble, yes. They're not rigidly bolted on like CPU or GPU heatsinks are, just springloaded plastic pegs.

Software readings of voltages are rarely ever accruate, again, regardless of the board or product.

And yes, I'm sure Gigabyte somehow had Rev 1 and Rev 2 that worked fine...but Rev 3 didn't? :p

tungureanu

(Russian) Member
Yeah guys. Just because I've had issues with my board, it means that everyone else does too and therefore it's a bad product. :rolls eyes:

The double POST thing isn't an issue with your board, lots of boards do it, both Intel and AMD.

Heatsinks on motherboards wobble, yes. They're not rigidly bolted on like CPU or GPU heatsinks are, just springloaded plastic pegs.

Software readings of voltages are rarely ever accruate, again, regardless of the board or product.

there are things in the list that don't really make me mad, like the heat, the heatsinks VERY wobbly, HWmonitor reading. But voltage control an LLC? that pi**es me off. If you read around other forums you will see that the R3 boards are full of problems. Even the shop where i bought it had atleast 2 pieces returned by customers... That says it all IMO

Rev2 didn't even came out to be sold, only engeneering copies that blew FETS, so what did giga do? Removed the disable APM option and renamed it to Rev3

EDIT: I just gave him advice,take it or leave it. Not my money. All i know is that i'm not buyig Giga AMD MB ever again.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hyperion626

Registered
hmm then i might go with something like the Asus Sabertooth 990FX unless you have a better option for that price or less

Chass1s

Well you have opinions from two sides. I have an asus intel mobo in my latest build, but if i built another AMD rig I'd look at gigabyte too. I buy almost all my parts from newegg and ive never had anything defective out of the box. If I did, id just RMA it. I personally like the BIOS of the gigabyte mobo.

OP
H

Hyperion626

Registered
more than likely i will go with a AMD FX-4350, so far as i know their is no need for more than 4 cores, and minecraft servers can only use 1 core atm

OP
H

Hyperion626

Registered
Now at this point im basically building a new PC so i am going to try and make some money back by selling the old PC. will a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 fit into a mid tower case or do i need a full tower?

tungureanu

(Russian) Member
Depends on your definition of mid-tower.The UD3 is a standard ATX size motherboard. If the case manufacturer says ATX it`ll fit

Mod-R

1333 MHz RAM is plenty enough, 1600 MHz is optimized, 1866 MHz represents only about 1% perf increase in Win 7. If you're budget conscious, don't even look at 1866 MHz, and don't feel too sorry if you can't support higher than 1333, it'll do the job just as fine.

Mod-R

Sorry lot of things were added while I posted...

Sabertooth is a ridiculous idea when you're budget-minded. 120$-150$ on the board is enough to get good quality and options. Of course, if building with these new parts, 1600 MHz is recommended, it costs no more than 1333. Your case should fit ATX just fine, I rarely encountered one that couldn't, but of course only yourself can verify that ATM.

Chass1s

Yes, a midtower is what you need for that mobo. Yes, you should see a large increase in performance. But instill recommend you stay at 1600MHz RAM.

manu2b

by mid tower i mean http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...d Tower&cm_sp=CompCase9_-VisNav-_-ATXMidTower

im still a fan of the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 however,
will i notice a big performance boost if i replace the cpu with the AMD FX-4350?
and if i do replace it

Not really.

This is a comparison, at stock clocks of a 965 vs a 4300.
A [email protected] roughly equals a [email protected] (extrapolating this):
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/700?vs=102

OP
H

Hyperion626

Registered
Alright so here is what im looking at:
Cpu: AMD FX-4350
Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1
case: RAIDMAX Cobra ATX-502WBG
mobo: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
ram: F3-1600C9D-16GXM
Total:$476
i recently got $200 in donations from the server bringing the price to $276, If i sold the original pc with a 400 W power supply a gt430 GPU and a 1tb HD how much do you think i could sell it on craigslist for?
i would like to think i could get $400 but i do not have much experience with craigslist.

OP
H

Hyperion626

Registered
the reason i would go with the 4350 instead of the 955 despite being roughly the same benchmark is that i can use 1600mhz ram instead of 1333

tungureanu

(Russian) Member
do you rally want to stick to AMD? because you could get something like this that will be better for single core performace

Mod-R

Going with half the RAM just to have 1866 MHz is stupid. I don't even understand why that frequency was suggested in the first place, this being a budget conscious upgrade. With the speed of DDR3 RAM, quantity is the real benefit, and 8GB of 1066 MHz would be a better choice than 4GB of 2100 MHz, and this is even more true when considering that anything over 1600 brings very little increase. I think, still in a budget aspect, that 16GB is overkill though.

Same thing applies to investing 100$ more for a 3570K...