• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrades, What should i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
H

Hyperion626

Registered
though 16gb is a bit much even while hosting a server, 8gb is to few and i don't want to mix and match ram.

Though i have no problem with intel, they tend to cost a bit more, ASRock has always served me well but from what i have seen gigabyte seems to be the better product. but thanks for your suggestion

OP
H

Hyperion626

Registered
I do like the benchmark on that Cpu...

hmmm anyone have input on Chass1s's suggestion?

tungureanu

(Russian) Member
Intel rig: why not replace the 2500k with the new gen 3570k witch is faster and it's also cheaper. The AMD rig is good as is. IMHO

OP
H

Hyperion626

Registered
If i can get enough people on the server to chip in i rather like the 3570k benchmark wise it makes the 4350 look like junk

i take it the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is recommended for an intel build?

OP
H

Hyperion626

Registered
Well just finished checking out at Newegg ended up with

MB ASROCK|Z77 EXTREME4 Z77 1155 R ( 1)
CPU COOLER CM| RR-212E-20PK-R2 R ( 1)
GIFT IRACING SUBSCRIPTION 3 MONTH ( 1)
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 3570K 3.4G 6M R ( 1)
DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% ( 1)
MEM 8Gx2|GSKILL F3-1600C9D-16GXM R ( 1)

about double what i wanted to spend, but since i'm replacing the entire tower i can sell the old one and maybe make back a good chunk of it.

Thanks for your help deciding guys it was a major help!

Chass1s

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy. That mobo will allow you to upgrade in the future if you want to/have the funds. I would research a CPU cooler ( *cough ph-tc14pe cough*) and faster RAM. (What you bought is just fine but incase you get power hungry like I do)

briansun1

DO NOT buy a UD3 they have a lot of problems. Better save up some cash and get a Asus Sabertooth or even better a Asus Crosshair Formula V.

I am going to have to say no on this the rog board are a really only for extream ocing ie LN2...

@op you do not need a 800w psu a 500 would be fine.

also on the whole ram thing I would go with better timmings any day becuase you will not see any difrenace 1600mhz+ for gaming and normal tasks

OP
H

Hyperion626

Registered
Lol Brian no worries i came to the same conclusion about the ram, as for the 800W power supply, i had a 400W about a month ago which made me choose between fans or HD speed (due to lack of power) and i decided i never want that to be a limiting factor, so i went overboard lol.

Thank you though, on a side note after purchasing the computer i maxed out my visas daily spending limit so when i was at the movies and it got declined when i tried to buy a $1.50 soda i got a weird look from the cashier. he checked my ID after that and everything XD

OP
H

Hyperion626

Registered
ignoring the fact that im using an old case because newegg messed up on the shipping of the new one, i now have everything up and running and it is awesome, my pc is twice as fast. my overall pc score on "performancetest" is 4000. i overclocked the cpu from 3.4 to 4.2 on air. but i do have a slight problem, when running stress test my cpu tops out at 40C.... do i have the worlds most amazing air cooling? or am i loosing it? im using the hyper 212 evo

im using speedfan, is their a better program?

Mod-R

Yeah... Core Temp with Intel is usually pretty much the one. There's also HWMonitor. And there's Real Temp.

Chass1s

ignoring the fact that im using an old case because newegg messed up on the shipping of the new one, i now have everything up and running and it is awesome, my pc is twice as fast. my overall pc score on "performancetest" is 4000. i overclocked the cpu from 3.4 to 4.2 on air. but i do have a slight problem, when running stress test my cpu tops out at 40C.... do i have the worlds most amazing air cooling? or am i loosing it? im using the hyper 212 evo

im using speedfan, is their a better program?

if you use HWmonitor, look up the offset for your CPU. But I use Core Temp for my 2500K. Hyper 212 Evo is a good cooler, thats why so many people buy it.