• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading 7600k. Go 7700k or 8700k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

I am getting some FPS drops in a game I play a lot (Fortnite). I am already running a 1080Ti overclocked, so I am pretty much maxed out there. I opened Task Manager and saw that both the CPU and GPU is completely pegged. I am wondering if upgrading to a 7700k would help. I know hyper threading does help in many games, but my understanding is HT doesent increase a CPU's ability to compute data, it only feeds data faster so the CPU is idle less often. As such, if task manager shows the CPU is already maxed out on all four cores, can HT help improve anything?

I figured with the sale this weekend, selling my 7600k would mean I could upgrade to a 7700k for probably around $100. By contrast an 8700k would mean at least $400. Herre is what things look like when I am gaming:

Untitled2.png

I would save some money and just upgrade to the i7 7700k it will do the job for sweet gaming. The GPU drops to 85% so the i7 7700k will help out. Next year the Intel 8 core 16 thread will be on the Z390, that would be a better jump.

Well if I am going to upgrade the mobo I mind as well just do the 8700k because there is nothing AMD makes that is on par with the 8700k for gaming that is around the same price point. I think the 8700k beats anything AMD makes that's under $800.

I'd just sit tight, you're not going to gain enough over what you have now to cause me to spend money.
I'm still on Z97/4790K and still see no reason to move to 5th-6th-7th or 8th gen platforms because if it gets that bad, I can turn one or two graphics settings down a notch.
but if you can afford the ride on the intel upgrade path go all out and change platforms, but I personally would just move to an I7 and wait till they make some progress and that looks like it will still be a gen or two.

The gain from HT varies depending on the workload. It can be anywhere from 0 to 50% with all else being equal. While a core only has a finite amount of execution potential, HT can allow more of it to be used simultaneously.

Who on earth would run a $700+ GPU with a 4 threads CPU?!?

well, he does.
if all he does is go to an I 7 he'll gain some.
if he changes platforms, maybe a little more, I'd just get an I7 for the current platform and wait till ipc improves.
I run 2 1080's on a 6800K, I'm waiting till the bottlenek is broken, not improved a little.

Well it seems like the 8700k has the potential to have huge gains as it has 2 more cores, but it depends on whether modern games can take advantage of 6 cores and 12 threads or not.

Well it seems like the 8700k has the potential to have huge gains as it has 2 more cores, but it depends on whether modern games can take advantage of 6 cores and 12 threads or not.
yes... read some reviews and see. If you want to afford a 8700k, i would surely do that over a 7700k. If you dont want to, it will likely help. Perhaps take the time to lokkup for ite reviews which go over cpus and see.. ;)

Back