• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading an 5820k to xeon v3/ 780 ti sli --->1080 SC acx3 sli, psu+case ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

er557

was looking for a small boost for the box(gaming, media server, office, multi tasking, vmware) , currently:
i7 5820k+ msi x99s gaming 7 + 32gb ddr4 quad @2.4ghz (gskill)+ 2x gtx 780 ti SLI + 4k phillips 40" monitor
+ zalman 1000gvm psu+ zalman z12 plus box + 6x hdd multi tera
(not overclocked)

upgrade:
xeon e5-2686 v3 haswell-EP 2.3ghz--->turbo 3.5ghz @18 cores/36 threads (399$)
evga gtx 1080 SC acx 3.0 (870$ x 2)(not online)
evga HB sli pro bridge (40$)

so I will be getting 40 pcie lanes instead of 28, possible cpu overclock if turns out to be unlocked(QS stepping<=retail), I suppose my case and psu are up for it?

They should be fine. Far as I know the 1080 is more efficient than the 780 TI anyway. If anything it'll use less power. The EVGA SC ACX isn't the biggest card on the market so I wouldn't see any fitment issues either.

EDIT: Mind you, I'm absolutely NOT a fan of Zalman in general, but some PSUs have been okay... Just lower end ones I've seen go sparky sparky in a workshop at my old job.. How old is your PSU?

the PSU is of two years, current rig build time, and has been fine up till now, ; also have the seasonic 750w gold which may prove too weak for this; forgot to mention the sb Z sound card with shure 840 headphones/ but those dont change, and the pcie x1 sb z is the reason i ran x8+x8 pcie sli, due to cpu lanes and slot placement, instead of the top most slots

You shouldn't have a problem either way.

TBH the Seasonic can handle 2 1080s and a single CPU, but if the Zalman works currently no need to change it I suppose.

ok thanks, forgot to mention the cooler i use is arctic freezer i30; the xeon was shipped today....

Good luck with unlocking. If I'm right then all retail Xeons v3 were already locked ( ratio+bclk ) with max bclk ~103MHz. For games this CPU looks more like a downgrade to me but I guess you will find out soon.

I'll be sure to benchmark it extensively and post the results here, why a downgrade when you can lock all speed bins in bios to use max turbo(3~3.5ghz), i actually think it will smoke any cpu easily, especially since my gaming settings are gpu bound @Ultra 4k extreme

I feel like it's downgrade ( at least for games ) because most games are not using more than 4 cores or performance is not scalling good above that. Simply 18 cores will give effect like you had 4-6 cores at 3.5GHz.
There is also question if you can lock cores at 3.5GHz and overclock them some more. On some Xeons I had problem to force constant max clock as it was working at max speed only while using 1-4 cores or something. It usually depends from motherboard and used BIOS.
I had no chance to play with these 18 cores so I'm not sure how it looks like. However I was comparing performance of 5820K and 2x6 core Xeon [email protected] and at least in everything 3D like games and benchmarks ( 3DMark etc ) 5820K was better option.
It doesn't change fact it's a good CPU and maybe you can make it run as high as you wish. 3.5GHz at anything above 4 cores is enough for all games.

Build project is under way, for the time being added 16gb ram(=48gb total), added samsung 500gb ssd, first benchmark of crystal mark.
Funny the game stutters are gone due to the ssd, even still with the 780 ti sli

it gotta be the ssd(OS+page file) plus the added ram(???). it was sli to begin with always, but terrible stutters @4k @High on wolf the new order, gta v; now all smooth as silk, as if the gpu has twice fold of memory to work with

Ahhhh. I'm not as sharp on this as I'd like to be, so I was wondering if twice the demand (SLI) created a bottleneck at the drive. I didn't consider the RAM, though.

Somehow I don't believe it's using more than ~16GB RAM. SSD is helping a lot in many new games. Especially online games are working much better on SSD but also new games which are loading a lot of textures etc are working faster.
OS doesn't have to be on SSD. Games have to be to see the difference. It's because most system files are in RAM after you load OS and there is not much more that HDD couldn't handle. If you buy SSD only for OS then you will see mainly difference in OS load time, not its general work.

Back