• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Current Build - Advice Needed ($1200)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max_Xman

Here is a build that I recently put together. Anything that's not listed in my parts list, I already have. That includes things like an SSD, Hard Drive, Monitor, Mouse & Keyboard, DVD Drive and Non-OEM Windows 7 OS.

My primary goal for this setup is current gen 1080P gaming at 60 FPS with all settings maxed out. I'm also looking to upgrade to a better ASUS VG248QE 144Hz monitor in the future.

Here is the actual build that I put together, based on advice that I received:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($342.70 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I ATX Full Tower Case ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1162.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-23 22:19 EDT-0400

The H50 is garbage, get rid of it.
For an AIO, look at a Swiftech H220-X or CoolerMaster Glacer 240L. For a good heatsink look at an NH-D15.

The board is good, but consider a Z97 Extreme4 or Extreme6, they're better bang for the buck and have much better integrated audio.

You need NOWHERE near that much PSU. Even if you go SLI you'll be using 600W at an absolute maximum even with massive overclocking.
Drop down to a SuperNova G2 750W or, if SLI isn't planned, a Seasonic G-550.

The H50 is garbage, get rid of it.
For an AIO, look at a Swiftech H220-X or CoolerMaster Glacer 240L. For a good heatsink look at an NH-D15.

The board is good, but consider a Z97 Extreme4 or Extreme6, they're better bang for the buck and have much better integrated audio.

You need NOWHERE near that much PSU. Even if you go SLI you'll be using 600W at an absolute maximum even with massive overclocking.
Drop down to a SuperNova G2 750W or, if SLI isn't planned, a Seasonic G-550.
I agree on all accounts, I will also add, do you really need 16g of ram?

16GB seems like a pretty safe bet these days, games are starting to creep on the 8GB margin and the next big AAA title very well may push past. I would go with exactly what ATMIN said.

Gota agree on tossing the H50, I had one and it was barely enough for an overlooked 2600k.

If your looking for a good AIO..and have the room you may check out a dual 120 based one...they gives you decent room for overclocking the 4690

The more RAM the better. Software is always trending towards more bloat as features and eye candy keep getting added.

Back