• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from 5820k to 6950X...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aliitp

Registered
Hi Guys,

I built my high end desktop 5 years ago and its been doing great since then, it is having an ASUS X99 Deluxe, 32 GB of DDR4 RAM and a waterblock for the 2011-v3 socket, however nowadays 6 cores seems too little and am not willing JUST NOT YET to do a whole new build...!, if i do i need to get a new waterblock (probably gonna go with AMD 5950x in the future), a new board and probably a new CPU and new RAM STICKS !!

I was thinking of upgrading to something more compatible with my current build like the 6950x/6950k since it seems like the highest end cpu my board can support, is it worth the upgrade especially with more cores and cache ?? am using the PC for video editting and gaming,

my last question can i use my 3070 GPU or 6800 XT on that build or will it be bottlenecked as some people suggest ?...

thanks,

Clock for clock, there isn't much difference between those CPUs. You'll get a bunch more cores/threads and a bit of a clockspeed bump. It would breath some more life back into it, sure.

You can use those GPUs. If you game at 1080p still, the CPU will hold back those GPUs, sure. If you're at 1440+, then not so much at all. :)

Clock for clock, there isn't much difference between those CPUs. You'll get a bunch more cores/threads and a bit of a clockspeed bump. It would breath some more life back into it, sure.

You can use those GPUs. If you game at 1080p still, the CPU will hold back those GPUs, sure. If you're at 1440+, then not so much at all. :)

What about for multi core apps especially premiere pro and other multi core tasks is adding 4 more cores over the current cpu I have really not really a great improvement in ur opinion ??....

Thanks,

^ You didn't mention if it also needed to OC. If you check your CPU support page XEON's are also supported. They don't OC BUT you can grab a E5-2680 v4 (14c/28t) for under $200 or a E5-2683 v4 (16c/32t) for $250 :)

Back