• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading From AMD Athlon X4 860K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if i bought that i5 and board (Used..) can i expect atleast double the processing speed of my current 640 AMD one?

Also (important for me to know)....
If i swapped boards and cpu and plugged in my current hard drive with the OS (Windows 10) installed will it work? or do i have to do a fresh windows install?

Pretty much, yes. If you want to make things super cheap, pick up an MSI H81MP33 (cheapest board ever but it works) and an i5 4460. The board is so cheap new that buying it used is silly but buying a used i5 CPU will save you some cash.
Keep in mind that this motherboard is limited to DDR3 1600 and that you can not overclock on it, even if you got a K cpu later on.

cool.

what about Z97-DELUXE and Intel Core i7 4770K

seems like a pretty fast cpu with good review

but it dependson how much theyve overclocked it and how much theyve used it.

its not just about speed. i want a reliable setup i can use for next 4 years +

asus site says z97 board does not support Windows 10...darn

That's just not so. Just because Windows 10 is not listed on the website as a compatible OS doesn't mean it won't work with that motherboard. You need to realize that the board was first produced before Windows 10 was released and therefore the advertised specs will not include Windows 10. Trust me, Windows 10 will work just fine on that motherboard.

Attachments

• Windows 10.JPG
    Windows 10.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 31
I'm using a Z97 board with Win 10 right now.

This is how I did it:

latest

(just kidding). Seriously though, it'll be fine. Tons of people on Z97 use Win 10. Trust us. It's fine.
And yes it does matter what voltage the CPU has been run at. You should ask. If you're just going to run it stock and maybe even undervolt it it should last you 5 years no problem even if it's an abused CPU.

Back