• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from FX to Ryzen, HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Overclocking and it's worth is up to the user and their workload/use case. You can get more MULTI-THREADED performance with overclocking all c/t to the limit, but you will likely lose a bit of lighter load clockspeed.... so, again.......it depends. For ME, if this was MY daily driver for MY uses, I would tweak PBO up and let it work it's magic. THis way you get more out of both (single/multi). But if his world is more multi-threaded, I would overclock all c/t.

Last edited:
Aight, update time : Everything installed and working well so far. Maxed out @4.2ghz all cores (will crash above no matter how much voltage I pump into him), 1.344/1.35v with LLC Turbo, ~70c Prime95 v29.8b6 AVX2 for 2 hours. Flare X working at XMP 3200mhz c14 t1, will try to kick it to 3600mhz c15 tomorrow and do the usual benchmarking after :clap:

The bad : it maxed @4.2ghz :mad: BIOS does NOT like CPU at auto voltage and XMP turned on with the latest BIOS, fans turn on but doesn't post (yes I reset everything several times, yes I took the battery off, error persists)
The good : everything is so fast and especially smooth in Windows (compared to the 8370 even @4.7ghz) i nearly creamed my pants :drool: idles at ~30c with all power savings turn off

So I'm thinking it would depend on what the main use scenario is. If gaming, stock clocks with max one core boost might give best performance where as multi-threaded apps will probably see significant performance increase with all cores clocked to the max that the system package will handle ans still be stable.

Last edited:
Aight, update time : Everything installed and working well so far. Maxed out @4.2ghz all cores (will crash above no matter how much voltage I pump into him), 1.344/1.35v with LLC Turbo, ~70c Prime95 v29.8b6 AVX2 for 2 hours. Flare X working at XMP 3200mhz c14 t1, will try to kick it to 3600mhz c15 tomorrow and do the usual benchmarking after :clap:

The bad : it maxed @4.2ghz :mad: BIOS does NOT like CPU at auto voltage and XMP turned on with the latest BIOS, fans turn on but doesn't post (yes I reset everything several times, yes I took the battery off, error persists)
The good : everything is so fast and especially smooth in Windows (compared to the 8370 even @4.7ghz) i nearly creamed my pants :drool: idles at ~30c with all power savings turn off

What was the clock speed on all cores default settings?

What was the clock speed on all cores default settings?
3500mhz to one core hitting 4125mhz but I didn't do anything significant before starting experimenting, had thought about saving the stable 4.2ghz+3600 c15 profile today and then going back to roots to do a comparison.

One thing I noticed on Aida64 was slow RAM copy speed (all slow overall when I compare it with my old 6700k), doing ~45k read but only ~25k write ~75 latency. Googled a bit and it seems like it's normal to Ryzen up to mine and anything higher will get full write speed, something about chiplet count ?

Last edited:
Benchmarks time :clap:

I have to say, although the overclocker in me died a little inside with how easy it was to OC and optimize, the benefits from Ryzen over FX are well worth it. Not just the raw speed, what struck me the most was how smooth everything is (especially in games), no more stuttering, no more lagging, 30fps-60fps look and feel more fluid if that makes sense. Most games I tried so far nearly doubled FPS, others had anywhere from 50% to 75% increase - World of Warcraft (especially in big cities), Metro Exodus, Mass Effect Andromeda, Total War Warhammer 2, Starcraft 2 and others - and I still have the same GPU/monitor for now... I wonder if this says more about the 3600 or the 8370... With the memory OC I gained anywhere from 5fps-10fps on top in the same games.

Lotsa screenshots so you get spoilers :

Aida 64 RAM - 3200 c14 vs 3600 c15

Cinebench

3DMark

Running 1.4v from 1.35v stock, might try to tighten a bit more later on after thoroughly checking my games for any signs of instability :D

It's on Auto (BIOS reads 1.10v), completely forgot but it wasn't needed.

3500mhz to one core hitting 4125mhz but I didn't do anything significant before starting experimenting, had thought about saving the stable 4.2ghz+3600 c15 profile today and then going back to roots to do a comparison.

One thing I noticed on Aida64 was slow RAM copy speed (all slow overall when I compare it with my old 6700k), doing ~45k read but only ~25k write ~75 latency. Googled a bit and it seems like it's normal to Ryzen up to mine and anything higher will get full write speed, something about chiplet count ?

Good benchmark scores in post #26.:)

With 3500mhz to one core hitting 4125mhz does default Ryzen 3000 settings boost operate like Intel with boost bins? like when running Cinebench all cores run at a lower clock speed using default BIOS settings.

It would be interesting to go back to the default settings and do a comparison to see how much performance was gained in overclocking.

I said above I was planning on it a bit later on when I got the system completely sorted out, and I will be providing more screenshots :thup:

Last edited:
Good catch, probably meant 3.6ghz but was really more thinking about all the games i was gonna play that look SO much better :rofl:

Back