• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading motherboards, can I keep harddrive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

Ok there are 2 computers I have that i'm upgrading the platform(mobo,cpu,memory). Both computers use Windows XP Pro, Athlon XP's and nforce2 chipsets. I don't want to hafta erase the harddrives and reinstall everything just to upgrade the mobo/cpu. If both computers are using nforce2 chipsets can I just upgrade it without having to do anything to the harddrive?
These are the setups that i'm updating-

Computer 1) A7N8X(nforce2 SPP), XP2500, PC2700 ---> NF7-S(nforce2 SPP), XP2500-mobile, PC3700.

Computer 2) Albatron KM18G PRO 2.0(nforce2 IGP), XP1800, PC2100---> A7N8X(nforce2 SPP), XP2500, PC2700

So can I just put in the new motherboards, and not worry about anything?

Mr.Radar

I've kept my HDDs accross different mobos and they're all working fine. As long as the mobo you're moving to supports the same method of accessing the HDD (like LBA) then it should be just fine.

EDIT: If the drives have Windows on them and you're planning on keeping that Windows install run through the Windows setup in repair mode to reinstall all the drivers.

OP
ap673

ap673

Ok thats what I thought, just a simple repair and reinstallation of drivers.

Just to make sure, repairing doesnt wipe out all my files right?

The new mobo im getting has the same nforce2 SPP chipset, but the other one had the nforce2 IGP chipset. I know IGP only stands for Integrated graphics processor, but are the actual drivers for the chipset different?

Last edited:
OP
ap673

ap673

I forgot about adding this part heh sorry. :-/

We also have an old P3 900mhz cpu system that we want to upgrade to a xp1800, 512 pc2100, nforce2 board, and 80 gig harddrive. The files on the P3's 40 gig harddrive are very important. Do I just build the system and install Windows XP Pro on the new XP1800 system with the 80 gig harddrive and then connect the P3's harddrive as slave? Will I be able to retrieve files from the P3 and drag and drop onto the new harddrive? The harddrive with the P3 also has Windows XP Pro on it. Thanks for the help.

Mr.Radar

ap673 said:
Ok thats what I thought, just a simple repair and reinstallation of drivers.

Just to make sure, repairing doesnt wipe out all my files right?

The new mobo im getting has the same nforce2 SPP chipset, but the other one had the nforce2 IGP chipset. I know IGP only stands for Integrated graphics processor, but are the actual drivers for the chipset different?

The repair install option just reinstalls all the drivers and resets some setting, it won't delete anything.

ap673 said:
We also have an old P3 900mhz cpu system that we want to upgrade to a xp1800, 512 pc2100, nforce2 board, and 80 gig harddrive. The files on the P3's 40 gig harddrive are very important. Do I just build the system and install Windows XP Pro on the new XP1800 system with the 80 gig harddrive and then connect the P3's harddrive as slave? Will I be able to retrieve files from the P3 and drag and drop onto the new harddrive? The harddrive with the P3 also has Windows XP Pro on it. Thanks for the help.

That should work just fine as long as the P3's HDD is set as the slave drive or is on a different IDE bus (so the drives don't conflict with each other).