• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading my cpu, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ComputerDork

Registered
Ok computer dorks (don't take this as an insult, I am slowly becoming one myself, hence the name) should and can I upgrade my cpu?

current cpu:

slot A
750 mhz amd athlon
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

motherboard:

jabil amd motherboard r4

BIOS:

ami bios

what else do I need to know about my system to know what cpu I can upgrade to? In other words, does anyone know with this information if I can upgrade the cpu and to what cpu can I upgrade to?

SiliconX

Your motherboards documentation should tell you what speed it can handle. I tried looking for a Jabil(never heard of them :p ) website but couldn't find one.

Do you need to upgrade? Hard question to answer. If all you do is surf the net and check email, etc, then probably not. If you're a gamer or do anything with your PC that would use that extra power(graphic design, benchmarking, etc), then definately.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the processor you have now, i'd save and get a whole new mobo/processor/ram setup. You'll get alot more performance out of that. I doubt you could get a faster processor with enough of a speed boost to really make a difference.

arnoldma

SiliconX said:
Your motherboards documentation should tell you what speed it can handle. I tried looking for a Jabil(never heard of them :p ) website but couldn't find one.

Do you need to upgrade? Hard question to answer. If all you do is surf the net and check email, etc, then probably not. If you're a gamer or do anything with your PC that would use that extra power(graphic design, benchmarking, etc), then definately.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the processor you have now, i'd save and get a whole new mobo/processor/ram setup. You'll get alot more performance out of that. I doubt you could get a faster processor with enough of a speed boost to really make a difference.

ditto :D

OP
C

ComputerDork

Registered
if you go to google and type in jabil amd motherboard r4, it will take you to the gateway site and you can get the motherboard info there

josi

I see that you have a Slot A CPU, the last Slot A CPU was Athlon 1000. I would suggest you to get a new Socket A CPU (XP1700+ at least), new motherboard and some DDR SDRAM memory.

asj

well it would probably be cheaper than buying a 1Ghz slot A cpu! lol!

The last time I looked at 1Ghz slot A cpu's on eBay they did go for alot!
your best bet would be to get a cheap socket A mobo and a cheap duron. And all the rest of your stuff should work.

Maximouse

ComputerDork said:
josi,

are you buying? :rolleyes:

That was kind of rude.

You asked for advice and people took the time to give you your best options.

The least you could do is thank them for for their help even if you cant follow their suggestions.

Tsk:rolleyes:

Edward2

I don't know what your budget is, but you could upgrade to a 1700+ Tbred B and socket A motherboard for about $150. Of course depending on your current system, you might also need a new video card, memory, power supply, etc. This would get you a 2+ GHz computer. Only you can decide if it is worth the money to upgrade.

OP
C

ComputerDork

Registered
That was kind of rude.

You asked for advice and people took the time to give you your best options.

The least you could do is thank them for for their help even if you cant follow their suggestions.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I was just teasing and it was a joke. I appreciate everyone's comments here.

OP
C

ComputerDork

Registered
timmmmmmmmmmmy,

I am looking for a whole new beast my friend. What kind of power supply would I need to support that beast?

OP
C

ComputerDork

Registered
sorry, but I saw the cat and the name, figured you where of the female origin.............silly me

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
The real question here is not what cpu, mobo, ram, psu you should get the real ? is what is your budget?

Yuriman

Actualy, you can get a cheap socketA mobo for ~45$, nothing much to speak of, and an 1800+ for around 50. Add a 256mb chip of ddr and you spend about 115$.