• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haider

Hi,

I'm upgrading my PC so I need some opinions: -

Bundle One £499 - 6 month warranty
- i9-7900X - 10c/20t - Delidded - Liquid metal - Clocked to 4653Mhz Turbo
- Asus WS X299 PRO/SE - Workstation Series Motherboard with IPMI
- 8 x 8Gb G.Skill Trident 4133Mhz RAM with XMP 2.0- Properly timed and clocked
- XSPC Raystorm Pro full copper waterblock
- XSPC fittings
- 2 x Aplhacool full copper radiators
- Some pipework to get you started

Good points - 8/16 Core, Turbo boost 3, AVX512 for AI/ML, TPM Slot for Win11
Bad points - water-cooling, not really keen on mixing water and electronics, sounds like a recipe for disaster

Bundle Two £219.99
- Core i7-7800X 6c/12t
- Gigabyte X299 UD4

Wondering which one is good for gaming?

Thanks
Haider

Don't you have a Ivybridge-E processor now? This is one gen newer and not what I would consider a worthwhile upgrade.

If you forced me to answer...knowing what you were coming from, 7900x for sure. I don't see the point in another hex-core that's negligibly faster than what you have and still several years old.

I can't see any specs around throughput. I'm wondering whether Ryzen 5600X with 6/12 will be more right-sized for gaming 'fewer but faster cores'. From what I remember gaming used to about having a few fast cores rather than number of cores.

I can't see any specs around throughput.
????

I'm wondering whether Ryzen 5600X with 6/12 will be more right-sized for gaming 'fewer but faster cores'.
The Ryzen 5000 series is good because it's A LOT faster than the chip you originally mentioned in every way. That said, for gaming, look at the 5800X3D. It's AMD's gaming chip.

For how long you seem to keep your machine, I'd pay for the 5800x3d for sure.

Thanks for the pointer that (5800X3D) looks intriguing. My first IBM compatible was a AMD DX4-120, it out ran Intel Pentium 60/66MHz, then I had an Athlon64 when Intel (x86) & HP (PA RISC) were sinking the ship with EPIC & Itanium.

They fell away a bit after AMD64/Athlon64/Opteron. Good to see them back giving everyone a run for their money.

I'm more of a custom chip man. If you compare the Commodore Amiga - 16 bit Motorola 68000 7.14MHz and it's custom chips Paula, Angus & Denise custom chips) with the Acorn Archimedes A310 with it's 32 bit Acorn Risc Machine 2 CPU 8MHz. The ARM2 was three times as fast but the Amiga could hold more than it's own, even though the ARM2 was about three times faster than the MC68000.

I remember upgrading my DX4-120 with a Orchid Righteous 3D (3Dfx Voodoo1) and it absolutely walloped the Pentium 133/150MHz computers with their crappy ATI cards other students had at Uni., happy days. Though later on, ATI would learn how to design a 3D chip; I even had X850 XT PE...You don't need a super-fast CPU, just try to take stuff off from being run on the CPU, look at AMD 3D drivers lower CPU utilisation than nVidia, Serial SCSI/Firewire vs USB (Intel); USB uses more CPU, guess who came up with USB, Intel; no conflict of interest there...Never trust Intel. You can see that in their specs. They (Intel) will give you cycles per second but never instructions per clock cycle, MIPs, TFLOPS, SPECint or SPECfp so that you can't compare them against the opposition, they are a disgrace...

My daughter now has the PC with Ivy Bridge and gave me the [email protected] with the 7970 GHz Edition Vapor-X [email protected]. Looking to be upgrading this, it has 650W PSU and nice case. Looking at adding one of these bad boys to the mix, MSI Optix MPG321QRF-QD as part of the upgrade. I think this is going to be a Team RED build with around 250mm2 die size RDNA3 GPU chip...

So where did I head with this: -
Ryzen 5800X3D
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Kingston FURY Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600MHz CL17 DDR4 RAM - Black
Kingston KC3000 1TB M.2 2280 Gen4 NVMe SSD

Waiting on the 7800XT and a VR headset at some-point

Back