• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Phenom II x4 965 to a FX 8370 plan to Oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mohdnoh

Hi Guys

Phenom II x4 965
G.Skill Sniper 1866 CL9 16GB DDR3 ram
Cool Master 212 EVO cpu cooler
Sadartooth R2.0 motherboard
EVGA Super Nova 850w Gold PSU
MSI R9 280x PSU
1 SATA DVD Drive
SATA III 6GB 1T drive
SATA 500GB drive both drives on port 1-2 set on AHCI
on in a Phanteks Enthoo Series case!

I would like to upgrade my Phenom II x4 965 Chip to a FX 8370 only because I don't have no knowledge of over clocking if I went to a FX 8320 an I don't want to run a FX 9000 series because of the cooling system thats needed. My son plays his games on this system and Wife does here crafts , I just surf on line or stream movies.

What do you think? Right now my Cool Master 212 EVO has been running with 1 120 fan and I have another in storage brand new , I plan on adding the second when I get my FX chip would this cooler be ok for a little OC? from my motherboard. I will be adding more fans on my case since I have plenty of room on top to add ether 3 - 120mm or 2 - 140mm fans.

mohdnoh, welcome to the forum. The motherboard you have is perfect for upgrading to an AMD Fx chip. I also do agree with you in not going with a Fx 9xxx chip, they are nothing but headaches for non experienced overclockers/builders.

If you haven't purchased the Fx 8370 already, I will suggest maybe getting a Fx 6300. Nothing wrong with the Fx 8370 but if what they will be doing with the Pc doesn't utilize all 8 cores the Fx 6300 may be the better option. The Fx 6300 will run a bit cooler and you may be able to get the Oc a bit higher with the CM 212 heatsink. All depending on the chip and ambient temperatures, a CM 212 may get you around 4.4 Ghz on a Fx 8xxx chip. With a Fx 6300 you may be able to get closer to 4.6 Ghz with it.

ty for your input ...
Maybe im going to take 8350 with nepton 240m

You might as well get a Noctua NH-D15 if you have the case clearance, quieter/cheaper/better performance.

ty for your input ...
Maybe im going to take 8350 with nepton 240m
Truth be told if you're planning on Ocing the chip get the least expensive Fx 83xx you can find. It's all a silicon lottery and there a no guarantees that a 8370 will Oc higher then say a 8320. A Fx 8320 at for example 4.6 ghz is the same as a Fx 8370 at 4.6.

Wow I just came across this post an you have the same set-up as I, that I posted in 12/29 2015 hehe witch I too added the FX 8370
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=374023
weird!
How's your system running? The case will handle the Noctua NH-D15 and 240mmm or the 280mm radiator's of any brand this case is big !
http://www.phanteksusa.com/products/phanteks-enthoo-pro
I've still have not decide witch cooler to get yet , but I don't OC so the Noctua NH-D15 is looking good for me but the Cool Master Nepton 280L looks nice an beefy!
good luck.
:cheers:

Last edited:
inkslinger welcome to the forum. You have the components to Oc the Fx 8370 there really isn't any reason not to. These chips really shine when they are pushed a little. Once you decide on what heatsink you're going to use, just ask us and we'll help you Oc that thing.

Back