• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentbad

i am thinking about upgrading my psu around xmas time because im not sure the one have can handle my system. this is the psu i have right now...

http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W001314.htm

the amps for the 12v seem kinda low for what im running which is a x800pro and a p4 3.2e. looking to spend around 100 bucks or less if i can help it.

I'd say go for the FSP550PLG-SLI or if you want to save a few dollars you can try the non-SLi version. ZZF has both of them for very good prices.

i was looking at the fortron blue storm and the 12v rails are only 15a which seems weak compared to a lot of other brands. this prescott will need more than that to achieve a good oc.

the fortron 550plg looks more promising with its 36a on the 12v line.

Last edited:
The fortron 500w is definately not weak, and while the fortron 550plg is stronger, it's also a lot louder. So it's a trade off.

agentbad said:
i was looking at the fortron blue storm and the 12v rails are only 15a which seems weak compared to a lot of other brands. this prescott will need more than that to achieve a good oc.

the fortron 550plg looks more promising with its 36a on the 12v line.
I think you'd be surpirsed at how powerful it is, Fortron is always underating their power supplies. Plus, the cables are pre-sleeved which is a nice touch.

agentbad said:
this prescott will need more than that to achieve a good oc.

Agreed... while the AX500-A is sufficient for most rigs out there, Pressies are hungry critters. While you could use something good for an honest 18A on two 12v rails, you would do best with a single large 12v rail; and that Thermaltake definitely won't do it (the CPU alone would max out that single 12v overclocked).

My suggestions would be the Sparkle FSP550PLG-SLI (or FSP550-60PLG), Silverstone 560w, Etasis EPAP-560, OCZ Powerstream 520, PC P&C 510w, or the Zippy HP2-6500P or HP2-6460P or PSL-6701P.

The Zippy 460w as well as the Sparkle 550w can be found lower than $100, while the Zippy 700w is the most expensive single 12v PS2 size unit that I know of. 45A @ 12v though ;)

Nasgul said:

My SmartPower 2.0 500W PSU has a 17A and 19A rails but combined they're a decent 25.83A, pushing a respectable 310W on the +12V line and ALL combined will be less. I'm not liking this Dual Rail crap anymore, I think I'll shell out on another PowerStream or that PC P&C 470 after X-mas.

yeah ive heard that a single rail is always better than a dualie for efficency purposes. i think i might follow your leed and get a ocz powerstream after xmas just to be safe.

ckj said:
That fortron 550w plg does have 36 amps on a single big rail.

i am impressed with this psu's 12v rail, however you have to add in the cost of of 20pin-24pin converter which to make it work with a regular single chip board. does the retail version of this include this because the oem doesn't?

Last edited:
Back