• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading system, help me decide on parts.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theoilman

Right now I'm using a socket A system and trying to game with it, as you might guess, it's not working well, I'm looking at switching to 939. I'm going to keep my old drives, case and power supply. So I'm only looking at a new processor, motherboard and Video card. Now I think I'm going to go with the opteron 148 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103596 and I'm still comparing motherboards for it. Anyone have any suggestions for a good motherboard? Are there any other processors I should look at? As for the video card I'm looking at the 6600 series or maybe a 6600gt if I can get it cheap enough, What would be some good companies to look at?

My first thought is, if you wait till April or May you can get a state of the art AM2 system.
If you go with a 939 system I suggest the Epox 9NPA+ Ultra board as it's the best combination for overclocking and stability. You might also consider spending another $100 and getting a dual core Opteron 165. If not, then look for a bargain Opti 146 or a Sandy 3700. Good luck with whatever you pick.

I would say get a 165 opty or get a 3700 sand(I love mine) then get the mobo in my sig and tack a 7800GT then lol you will be able to play whatever you want on max.

My buget is about 350 so I cant get a 7800Gt but having the best graphics money can buy isnt really important to me, I just want to be able to play games like Doom 3 or F.E.A.R. on medium graphics and not lag, This is a n00bish question but are the opterons 146, 148 ect. the same processor just set to different speeds from the factory, or are they different, for example if I bought a 146 would it overclock the same as a 148?

What kind of PSU do you have now? I suggest to go for the 146 or a 3000+ Venice. Then the EPoX board is a great choice. Throw in a 6600 and you can play those games.

Now that I think clearly, I have those three things...

I have an ASYS switching power supply 450 Watt model number LC-B450E
I think I'm going to get an SLI capable board so when this system starts lagging behind and can get a cheap 6600 and catch up some, i found this one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138253, it seemed good from the reviews but its always good to get a second opinion.

Last edited:
Back