• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading system, need low cost ram recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Yes, this is another "Which ram should I get" thread. I've got a Shuttle An35N nforce2 ultra motherboard. I'm going to upgrade my 1600+ to a mobile 2600+ and am thinking I should also make the move from 512MB pc2700 to 1GB pc3200 or faster.

My issue is that I don't want bleeding edge technology for my ram. I just want to have a quality product that will do at least pc3200 speeds at adequate timings (cas 2.5 or so). If the ram can handle it, I may take the bus to slightly above 200, but not likely over 210 or so.

The only brand I have heard people mention recently is Kingston ValueRAM for decent cheap ram. I'd like to hear a bit about other options if possible. Not too long ago, everyone was talking about how great Buffalo was. Is Buffalo still good? Is kingston better? What about the cheap mushkin ram?

OP
Krusty

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
newegg tells me that buffalo only makes pc2100, pc2700, and pc3200 modules. I checked the pricing on pc3700 at newegg and I don't think it's worth it. all pc3700 modules on newegg are near twice the price as the pc3200. That's why I'm looking for something that only needs to do pc3200 speeds. I'm looking for good low cost stuff.

Bios24

I'm in the exact same market. Newegg has Mushkin PC3200 512mb cas 2.5 sticks for $78 a peice, and that' what I plan on running.