• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading the epox route, suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spazzkid

ive been an epox user for a few years now, and im planning to upgrade my aging 8kha+ , i wud like to ask suggestions what mobo wud be best for an oc-freak like me... preferably kt333 chipset, kt400 is fine as long as it isnt that expensive. i wont be using raid, no on board sound please, and yes, pci dividers. the mobos available locally are 8k3a, 8k3a+, 8k5a, 8k5a+, 8k9a+ i dont really kno what to choose... suggestions are well appreciated. thanks everyone

ronin1967

8k3a would be the best choice. It is the most tried an true of the stripped down EPoX 8k motherboards with the least amount of frills. It has all the great OC features(Vcore adjustable in BIOS, Vdimm adjustabe in BIOS, CPU clock adjustable in BIOS, CPU multiplier adjustable in BIOS)and it has the best selection of BIOS, and a huge list of beta BIOS. Plus it would be the least expensive. Not to mention the dividers at 100MHz, 133MHz, and 166MHz.

The new KT400 don't perform all that well and don't support a 1/6 divider(200MHz). They say the new KT400a might, but they won;t be out until next year.

I use the 8k5a2+, but i wanted the sound, LAN, USB and RAID.

Kosmic

Ronin's got it right. I got my 8k5a2 'cause I couldn't get an ak3a from new egg at the time I was placing my order, and I don't order from many other places. BUT I've been *very* happy with this board, and it OCs very well as you can see from my sig. Can't remember the cost, but I think it was around $90.

OP
spazzkid

spazzkid

thanks for all the replies. im either going for the 8k3a+ or the 8k5a (no +) am not sure. the 8k9a is a bit off budget. :D

OP
spazzkid

spazzkid

one more thing, does epox has these boards that lets u lock pci bus speed, so i kud bump the proc and mem as high as i want? or maybe atleast a divider that goes off each time after maybe 10mhz fsb from default? with all the things stuck inside my pci slots, i wudnt want to stress them all out, at the same time limit my oc...

Kosmic

AGP and maybe PCI lock will only be on the new 8rda nforce2 boards. Maybe later on a kt400a, but that's even more speculation than the pci lock on the 8rda.

Top Hat Theater

8K3A b/c it's tried, true, OC's like a bat outta hell, and is fast. It's my first Epox board but this rev. 1.2 is awesome! If you can see the boards before buying, check the rev. # (right above the last PCI slot) and be sure to get a 1.2

~THT

ronin1967

in your case no real difference since you don't care about the built-in sound

2 or 6 channel audio depends on the board revision and audio controller chipset used.
REV 1.0 supports 2 channel only (ALC201A).
REV 1.1 supports 6 channel with no SPDIF (ALC650).
REV 1.2 supports 6 channel with SPDIF (ALC650).

and you know the + on that board means RAID

OP
spazzkid

spazzkid

thanks for the nice info ronin, i might be needing raid in the future, so i might as well get the "+" version :D, as for revisions, ur right, i wont be needing onboard crap sound anyway :D

OP
spazzkid

spazzkid

argh, still undecided. 8k3a+ or 8k5a2? specs look almost the same! the k3a+ seems more expensive becoz of its built in raid, besides that, what are the advantages of the k3a+ from the k5a2?

ronin1967

the 8k3a+ has the raid, more BIOS files to flash...

the 8k5a2 is newer(but the no frills one, so all the goodies are gone)...

I would say between the two still go with the 8k3a+, same KT333, same BIOS features, probably same sound, no LAN on either, same RAM, same amount of PCI slots.

Any other Epox boards available in your area...

OP
spazzkid

spazzkid

so far k3a/+, k5a, k9a+ ....
the k5a has 2.0 usb and a newer southbridge though. hmm...
the k3a+ is like 94 dollars over here, the k5a is 83 dollars.

ronin1967

the K9a+ is that 8k9a2+?

That kas the KT400, unlocked 2400+ with out any messing around plus all the frills(USB 2.0, 6 channel audio, LAN, RAID, 8x AGP)but not as much Vcore...

I like my 8k5a2+(but I like the extras, RAID, LAN, etc...)

they are all excellent boards and all great overclockers, maybe if I knew what you had planned, what processor and memory were you planning on running?

OP
spazzkid

spazzkid

maybe xp's... wud be getting an axp1600 coz they are dirt cheap, wud be getting a tbred eventually...