• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading to a PCIe motherboard - help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Markk79

Just got a new LCD monitor as a gift. Currently, running an AGP motherboard with FX-53, 1 gig RAM and 6800GT.

Due to the native resolution of the new monitor (1280X1024), I think I need a new video card to power the new games. Thinking of 7800gt. So I need new mobo. (Considering SLI mobo for future-proofing)

I have built my own computer before but never just swapped in a new mobo. Any tips or advice? Is it just a matter of unplugging components from old mobo and hooking up to new one?

Will all my programs and WinXP run fine with the new mobo once I connect my old hard drive and power up?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

rseven

:welcome: to the Forum, Markk79.
Replacing a mobo is pretty straight forward. Yes, everything should work, but you will have to reformat and reinstall Windows. Do you know what board you want to get? Also will the new pci-e boards offer you the resolution setting you are looking for? I still use agp myself, so I don't know.

OP
M

Markk79

Thanks for the reply.

Will I have to reformat my hard drive? If so, won't I lose all my programs?

Or do I just have to reinstall Windows and my old programs will remain intact?

Any suggestions on PCIe mobo, SLI enabled?

EWBatOVAclockin

A clean instal after installing a new motherboard is always better. But you can install the mobo then power it up and it will recognize the motherboard and start installing the drivers in windows.

I prefer a clean system, but if you have important programs you can't lose or don't have the disc too then just install and boot it up.

GL

Peace

rseven

The best choices are DFI, Epox and Asus. The DFI will overclock the best, the Asus is the worst overclocker but the most stable. The Epox is the second best overclocker to the DFI and pretty stable as well. The DFI is the most complicated to use. Personally, I like the Epox, but they are all good boards.