• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading to e8xxx, i5, or i3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Almrls

I'm planning on upgrading my 3 year old desktop, more or less, just my CPU.

I currently have an ancient e6300 running at 2.01Ghz, on an unknown ECS 570i motherboard, which explains the lack of overclocking ability. 2Gb of DDR2 667 RAM and a 8800GT GPU.

I think my GPU is fine, not worth upgrading in my price range yet, but I know I need a new CPU. I'm getting 4Gb RAM so don't worry about that. I use my PC mostly for gaming, but also interested in getting a BD player/burner and a 1900x1080/1200 monitor, up from my 1440x900. I also use CAD occasionally and rarely some video editing. Plus casual music and internet.

Elaborating on the gaming, I don't just play old RPG's, I like to run the best-looking at the highest settings I can. So keep that in mind.

Anyway, I had been looking at the e8400 for $170 at Newegg, but the new i7 and i5's are cheap quad-core options. Not so much the i7, because they're above my price range, but the i5-750 is $200 at the same place. But there's also the dual-core i5's, which is $195 for the i5-650 also at NE. And on top of that, the i3's are suppose to be cheap and very "over-clockable".

I don't have a problem overclocking, I've done a bit of it, but I'm not going to go hardcore. I have a crappy case that I'm replacing with a 900-2, which will help keeping things cool, in addition with an aftermarket heat sink and all that. I believe ineffective cooling and airflow played a big role in my inability to overclock much. With that said, what CPU would be best for my uses and price range of up to $200 or a little over: e8400, i5-750, i5-6x0, an i3-5x0? Can be something else similar, but has to be Intel. I guess I'm a fan boy :shrug:

Also, suggest a motherboard for the CPU, price limit: $150. Preferably, on Newegg. Thnx in advance. ;)

Well in this case.... I really would say, it just depends on your budget.

I run a i5 750, which is equivalent to about 30% faster OC than my Q6600 was. I only upgraded really, because I got a banging deal from a fellow OCer in Classifieds. I paid 250 for the Mobo and CPU and resold my Q6600, P5Q and Ram for 280. I then spent another 180 on DDR3 Ram, making my total upgrade cost $150.

Now.... that being said. It is used (although just slightly used) equipment. So now the question is.... how much could you get for your Ram/Mobo/CPU? Probably not so much here, but on craiglist you might be able to get rid of it for $100-150. If you could find a good deal on a i5 750 or even i3/Mobo and Ram (Right now there is a Deal in classies for Exactly this for $318), you would be looking at probably 400 dollars towards that upgrade, so you would end up with like a 250 dollar upgrade cost ($168-218 if you went with classies deal). So really it just depends on the deal.

Now back to the S775 setup. Realistically, you could probably pick up a E8400 in the Classifieds for $100 dollars/Newegg: Q8400 for $167.

You could also go quad, Newegg has Q9400 for $189 and Q9550 (Pretty damn close in speed to the i5 750) for $259

The moral to this story is, sticking with S775 would be less complicated and if your not a hardware junky, I'd imagine the S775 will still hold you for at least another 3 or 4 years.

My only suggestion is go with a Quad core. If and when your ready to build a completely new system, then worry about going with the newer platforms.

:welcome: to the forum!

Last edited:
I agree with the s1156 motherboard and i5 750 cpu. I also think you'll want to upgrade the video card if you are going to a 1900 x 1080/1200 monitor. I would recommend the HD 5770.

well the 5770 = 4850 performance, it would be better to get a 5850 instead.

I'm planning on upgrading my 3 year old desktop, more or less, just my CPU.

I currently have an ancient e6300 running at 2.01Ghz, on an unknown ECS 570i motherboard, which explains the lack of overclocking ability. 2Gb of DDR2 667 RAM and a 8800GT GPU.

I think my GPU is fine, not worth upgrading in my price range yet, but I know I need a new CPU. I'm getting 4Gb RAM so don't worry about that. I use my PC mostly for gaming, but also interested in getting a BD player/burner and a 1900x1080/1200 monitor, up from my 1440x900. I also use CAD occasionally and rarely some video editing. Plus casual music and internet.

Elaborating on the gaming, I don't just play old RPG's, I like to run the best-looking at the highest settings I can. So keep that in mind.

Anyway, I had been looking at the e8400 for $170 at Newegg, but the new i7 and i5's are cheap quad-core options. Not so much the i7, because they're above my price range, but the i5-750 is $200 at the same place. But there's also the dual-core i5's, which is $195 for the i5-650 also at NE. And on top of that, the i3's are suppose to be cheap and very "over-clockable".

I don't have a problem overclocking, I've done a bit of it, but I'm not going to go hardcore. I have a crappy case that I'm replacing with a 900-2, which will help keeping things cool, in addition with an aftermarket heat sink and all that. I believe ineffective cooling and airflow played a big role in my inability to overclock much. With that said, what CPU would be best for my uses and price range of up to $200 or a little over: e8400, i5-750, i5-6x0, an i3-5x0? Can be something else similar, but has to be Intel. I guess I'm a fan boy :shrug:

Also, suggest a motherboard for the CPU, price limit: $150. Preferably, on Newegg. Thnx in advance. ;)

Honestly i wouldn't throw anymore money into a dead socket. The I3 530 is as fast as an E8400 and blow's away underneath under it in the C2D Lineup. With a 22X Multi it will easily overclock to 4.5Ghz+

Core I3 530 - 124.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115222

MSI GD-45 - 119.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130246

DDR3 2000 Memory - 129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231281

That combo will hold you over till the 32nm Quad's are released.

GD-45 isnt worth the money imo, for a 4+1 phase board. you would be better off with either the GB-P55M-UD2 or the Asrock P55M-Pro.

Agreeing with "don't throw money into a dead socket". If you're going to upgrade, 1156 is a very good, inexpensive path. Gone are the days where upgrading to Intel's "i" series CPUs was $700 on an i7 cpu/mobo/ram setup, getting the cheapest stuff. You can throw a good rig together for $300 - $400, which will be amazing for the price.

If you want to do bit-streaming audio w/ Blu-Ray you'll need some very specific hardware. I haven't researched it fully, but I think you'll need one of the new H55 boards and one of the i3/i5 CPUs w/ a built-in GPU or a 5 series ATI video card.

Maybe someone else can elaborate in more detail if you let us know that is important to you.

I will go to i5, when U feel the performance not quite high then U can change the processor to i7 (which compatible to 1156 socket) and dont afraid the performancebecause it runs well.

If you want to do bit-streaming audio w/ Blu-Ray you'll need some very specific hardware. I haven't researched it fully, but I think you'll need one of the new H55 boards and one of the i3/i5 CPUs w/ a built-in GPU or a 5 series ATI video card.

Maybe someone else can elaborate in more detail if you let us know that is important to you.

right only H55 and H57 have onboard HDMI/DVI video outputs for the IGP's on i3/i5's. you could still run a IGP based i3/i5 on p55 just no video connections. P55 would be the way to go if you were going to use a add in gpu anyway. since you get raid from P55, H57 has something kind of similar but the manufacture has to include the raid controller.

IQ of the IGP on the i3/i5 should be on board with current low end video cards(aka NV 9400GT and ATI 4350).

Back