• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upping the voltage makes no difference...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AthlonUser

Registered
Hey all:beer:

I have my T-bird 1.2(AYHJAR 01 something) at 1495mhz(13x115) at 1.8v.The default(for the chip) is 1.75 but my motherboard sucks a$$ and has a fixed voltage of 1.8.
The thing that bothers me is that when i connect all the L7 bridges,i do get a voltage of 1.9-1.91(i read somewhere that ASUS boards tend to give more than the needed voltage thus 1.9 instead of 1.85)) but the chip wont go any higher.To be honest it worked once at 1560(13x120) but i lowered the speed because of insufficient cooling...50 idle.
My motherboard goes up to 120mhz(any higher and it wont boot...) and its very stable.Most of the time i had the cpu running at 12x120 and i had no problems at all.

Do you think the chip just wont go any higher?
I cant believe that a whole 0.1volts dont make any difference:mad:

PS:with cpufsb i can run the mb at 133fsb stable so i dont think thats the problem.

Edit:Temps at 1495 are 35-36 idle 40-41 full load

Hi AthlonUser,

I am in a similar situation with my Athlond 1.33 on a Shuttle Ak11 mobo.

I too closed all L7's to give me 1.85v but my mobo gives a bit more so 1.89-1.91 is what I am running at.

Previously to closing L7's, if I increased the Vcore passed +.100 I would get the default voltage (around 1.79v). I thought by defaulting to 1.85v with L7's that could get my mobo to increase +.025, but no go :-\

I have received posts from others telling me to do a VoltMod, however I believe that requires some soldering among other things I can not do until I get a backup Mobo and some other Electronic tools.

I do run stable with 11x136 (meaning I can game, 3Dmarks loops, etc.) which is like 1496 I believe. 11x138 I can do lite load activity, but gaming or 3dmarks or even Burnin with SiSoft Sandra either quits unexpectedly or WinXP cold boots!

I ordered a AX7 with an 80mm 53CFM fan to replace my Thermaltake Volcano7 (I believe it is a 70 or 60mm with similar cfm) because I heard and read it cools better.

Depending on the temp in my room I get idles from 40º-44º, with load I can expect to see 4-5ºC increase.

--
with all that said, sorry but I do not have a solution without suggesting a Voltmod or a new mobo.

brodo

I suppose that is better to go with another Mobo if you are not experienced about VoltMod, a cheaper and very good way can be the Shuttle AK35GTR, that can handle a Vcore up to 2.3v! ;)

Adriano

the doors:

I was looking to get the Ak31, do you happen to know what it can go up to?

btw, the Ak11 should be able to go +.275 according to the BIOS .. but I suppose the only way to tell is to push it manually.

I am still puzzled, because my Duron950 I was able to go +.175 higher than default Vcore, while my Athlon 1.33 I can only go up to 1.9v (which is about +.075 above Vcore)

any ideas as to why?

brodo

Well, the Ak31 can go up to 1.85v, but excuse me, considering that a TB1333 use a stock voltage of 1.75v, if I remember well, and you used 1.9v, the increase is +0.15, not +0.75v, or is this a percentage increase?

Adriano

Back