• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPS causing monitor to timeout for 1-2 seconds randomly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

After some testing, I'm almost 100% sure that my UPS is causing my monitor to timeout for 1-2 seconds, at random times, infrequently and during normal use, not gaming (at least I don't recall that it happened during gaming). The monitor goes into the blue light state, not orange.

This is a new issue, over the past month or so.

I have the CyberPower PR1000LCD and the batteries are fairly new. I think I replaced them last year. The UPS seems to be working fine according to the self test and it doesn't click/on/off unless there's a power surge or brown out.

I have my PC, modem, speakers and clock plugged into the UPS and would like to have my main screen plugged in also, once I fix the timeout issue. The total load on the UPS without my main screen is about 130 watts as I type this.

I've searched online and there are some posts on this exact issue but no real solution or answers.

Thanks in advance

Did it go away when plugged into the wall or a basic surge protector?

Did it go away when plugged into the wall or a basic surge protector?

Yes, which is why I'm almost 100% sure that it's the UPS but I've only had the monitor plugged into a power bar for a day or so.

My PC caused my UPS to do this because of too much draw when I game or do something else graphics intensive. Try unplugging other items leaving your monitor in to see if makes a difference. I had to put my modem and routers into their own backup then it worked fine.

My PC caused my UPS to do this because of too much draw when I game or do something else graphics intensive. Try unplugging other items leaving your monitor in to see if makes a difference. I had to put my modem and routers into their own backup then it worked fine.
This is a new issue though. I had it all plugged in just fine until about a month ago. I also don't get the time outs during gaming (too much draw).

The UPS is pretty old but the batteries are fairly new. Not sure if I should consider a new UPS but the whole point is for me to be able to have my modem, PC, monitor and clock at the very least, so I don't have to reset those during 1-2 second brown outs.

You've already got a thread on this subject....

You've already got a thread on this subject....

The point was to make it specific to the UPS. Is that alright?

I dont see why you'd want another thread (losing all that history and starting over - see janus' response to see what im talking about...) but go for it. I closed the original since you're certain it's the UPS.

Like I said in the original thread, if you're sure it's the UPS, then you need to run that monitor without one or get a new UPS and hope it doesn't do it on that one. Not sure what you can really do here with your UPS....its a black box for 99% of people. It works or doesn't. If you're within warranty, try to rma.

Yep, agreed with ED here.

I assume your UPS has a Surge-only side and a Battery-protected side. Try it on one or the other to see if it helps?

From the other thread, I know he switched outlets, but I don't recall if he mentioned sides of the UPS (dupe thread FTL! :p).

Although this isn't a load thing, I still think you should try what Bug suggested. Perhaps it's one of those items causing a problem? Who knows... it's free and easy to try so..............why not?

From the other thread, I know he switched outlets, but I don't recall if he mentioned sides of the UPS (dupe thread FTL! :p).

Although this isn't a load thing, I still think you should try what Bug suggested. Perhaps it's one of those items causing a problem? Who knows... it's free and easy to try so..............why not?

I'm on it. Modem/old digital alarm clock/radio is no longer plugged into UPS. So far so good. If this is the cause, I suspect the clock. Will report back soon :)

Still troubleshooting this by unplugging items from the UPS to see which one is causing it. It's not the clock and modem. The only thing left are my speakers. They are now plugged into another power bar and I'm waiting to see if I get a screen timeout. If I do, it's the UPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, after some further testing, it's not the UPS or items connected to the UPS. So it's either the monitor itself or a driver. I've tried several Nvidia drivers and what I notice is that the newer drivers have more options in 3D settings, particularly "Preferred refresh rate" and "max frame rate" which weren't options in older drivers last fall AFAIK. I'm mentioning this because I didn't experience the issue last summer/fall but using drivers that old won't work well with newer games (forza 5 for example). It could be that these settings are switching the refresh rate, causing a timeout? I don't know but I basically have to now try one NVIDIA driver after another to see if the issue continues. I also noticed that when you clean install an NVIDIA driver it also removes your monitor driver from device manager and reverts back to Generic. Something to note, when installing newer drivers.

Not the UPS eh? I wasn't convinced in the other thread it was! :p

If we're having the same issue... I went through probably a dozen or so drivers over the past several months/year+. So, for me at least, drivers don't help. Neither did using the wall plug as opposed to my surge protector.... nor swapping cables or inputs. My issue, I'm thinking, is the monitor itself. For me, it literally only happens when I sit down or stand up from my desk. Gaming/idle... doesn't matter. But when I sit down or stand up, it usually happens. My chair doesn't even touch the desk... the PC... nothing... it's......................weird. lol

If I was you, I would try to RMA, if possible... or at least reach out to Acer support and see what they suggest. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Not the UPS eh? I wasn't convinced in the other thread it was! :p

If we're having the same issue... I went through probably a dozen or so drivers over the past several months/year+. So, for me at least, drivers don't help. Neither did using the wall plug as opposed to my surge protector.... nor swapping cables or inputs. My issue, I'm thinking, is the monitor itself. For me, it literally only happens when I sit down or stand up from my desk. Gaming/idle... doesn't matter. But when I sit down or stand up, it usually happens. My chair doesn't even touch the desk... the PC... nothing... it's......................weird. lol

If I was you, I would try to RMA, if possible... or at least reach out to Acer support and see what they suggest. Keep us posted.

Well, they offered the RMA but I have 2 years left on the warranty so I think I'll wait a bit. For me, it's not a vibration thing as is your case, it's just random and not during gaming. Cables are fine unless it's the power cord itself, didn't change that one. I'll definitely go the RMA route if I can't solve it soon, it gets worse or more issues surface.

It's not really a vibration thing... though most of the time I can wiggle the connector and it happens. If I just bang on the desk or something to cause vibrations, it doesn't happen.

If they offered the RMA, what are ya waiting for? I'd return mine if it was still under warranty. Thankfully, like you, it doesn't happen in anything just sitting down and getting up from my PC (monitor is wall mounted and doesn't even touch the desk, lol).

It's not really a vibration thing... though most of the time I can wiggle the connector and it happens. If I just bang on the desk or something to cause vibrations, it doesn't happen.

If they offered the RMA, what are ya waiting for? I'd return mine if it was still under warranty. Thankfully, like you, it doesn't happen in anything just sitting down and getting up from my PC (monitor is wall mounted and doesn't even touch the desk, lol).

I mean if wiggling the connector does it, it's the connector since I'm sure you tried various cables. Time to activate your soldering skills and replace it? :) Or use some zip ties or duct tape to securely attach the cable to the monitor in a neutral, cable not bent, position.

I posted my issue on Acer Predator community group on the Acer site to see if anyone can shed light on this.

I have 2 years left on the warranty so there's no rush, especially since my time out is not triggered by movement of any cables, connectors etc. So I'm still thinking there might be a simple answer that's software/driver related.

Back