• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upscaling dvd question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmsch

Does my ATI GPU upscale a DVD I am playing in the DVD drive to 1080p. The res is currently set at 1080p and the TV can render 1080p, but does that mean that any DVD I might play in the DVD drive will be upscaled automatically?

HTPC specs in sig.

Thanks -Jim

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Yea it will play the dvd at the res you have your video card set to. Just remember it will not get rid of black bars, when doing it. Some movies may look grainy as well.

ratbuddy

Does my ATI GPU upscale a DVD I am playing in the DVD drive to 1080p. The res is currently set at 1080p and the TV can render 1080p, but does that mean that any DVD I might play in the DVD drive will be upscaled automatically?

HTPC specs in sig.

Thanks -Jim

It will be upscaled to fit the display but not necessarily upconverted properly. That depends what player and codec you are using. Some look much better than others, although the default ones in a modern player program usually do an OK job.