• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

urgent help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninthebin

heres how it happened...

I got some new memory, got it home, and attempted to install it. The slot seemed very VERY stiff....so I took out the original memory to try it in the slot to see if there was a problem with the new stuff...to my horror, the original slot was again very very tough.... and I know I shouldnt of but I forced it, and eventually it popped back in, same for the second DIMM slot. Turned pc on to hear the sweet sound of the BIOS telling me I had a memory problem, but apart from that not even the monitor would turn on, so im thinking maybe during forcing it I have either broke a traceline, or maybe even somehow the northbridge.

I am going to try both sets of memory in another computer next week to make sure its not them but even if it was, why is the monitor not turning on to at least show the intial BIOS boot stage?

If anyone has had experience in faults of this nature then it would be a great help...

Ok, are you sure you put it in correctly? Is it SDRam? If so look for the 2 notches in the bottom of the ram slots and at the bottom of the ram itself.
See here? this is DDR ram... in the pic, it has 1 notch
Showimage.asp

Now here is SDRam, again notice it has 2...
Showimage.asp

Now the bottom pic is shown right... up is the top and lower is the bottom, where in the top pic, its shown upside down...

This would be my first thought that maybe you put it in backwards... Once you know for sure about this let us know and we should be able to help more...

IFMU

Its SDRAM, yes it has the two notches, it was in the right way....

but it would go in so far, and then to get the clips into the side notches would take (and I know I shouldnt of) some hard pushing to get the ram down a bit lower...

I have tried it with the new, with the old, with both, and without....

but still why isnt at least the monitor displaying the BIOS boot up screen? - I have tried resetting the BIOS incase it was some sort of other problem with that, yet screen still seems to get nothing...

OK, if it was in correct, then Im going to presume that its not in right... or all the way... by my experiences, if the ram isnt in correctly, or all the way, it wont boot even to dos prompt of any kind... get a light of somekind, maybe even a magnifiing lens and look to see if there is anything in the ram slots... I have crap fall into one before, wouldnt let me do squat.... Check that, and maybe .... hmm... ok... Im going to go out on a limb here, but are you sure that the white tabs on the outside arent in the way when your trying to put the ram in? If those were to get in the way, it would become very difficult to put in.....

well I did here some sandy crunching like there was dust in there, when I "forced" it :)

but ill check it all, see what I can get out....

erm if is in right and everything, what do you suggest could be the problem?

I had to force my SDR RAM as well.
Perhaps the RAM is bad? Try a different stick in that slot to see if the slot or the RAM is bad.

I dont see how it could be bad, as the original is no longer working since I removed it and "forced" it back in....

but when I say force I mean force, I even asked my dad to push it in to see if it was jsut me being a fanny :) - but even he was suprised at how much of a fight the slot put up...

ninthebin said:
I dont see how it could be bad, as the original is no longer working since I removed it and "forced" it back in....

but when I say force I mean force, I even asked my dad to push it in to see if it was jsut me being a fanny :) - but even he was suprised at how much of a fight the slot put up...

Maybe when you 'forced' it in you killed it with static. try a different RAM stick.

right other stick = tried, same result....

I thought I would only be able to fry it with ESD if I came into driect contact with the chips, also im not quite getting why at least the first stage of the boot up isnt displaying on my monitor, I have taken memory out of systems before, obviously a memory problem was given by the BIOS, but at least the monitor shown the things like the memory test....

well I wont have a chance for about a week to do so, but can anyone answer me why there is nothing being displayed on the monitor, it still should do the first bit of the boot seqeunce....so there must be something more to it even if the RAM is dead....

ninthebin said:
well I wont have a chance for about a week to do so, but can anyone answer me why there is nothing being displayed on the monitor, it still should do the first bit of the boot seqeunce....so there must be something more to it even if the RAM is dead....

Did you get beep codes when you tried booting?

yes, thats the only way I know that there was a memory problem...

the beep code is a long repeating beep, as I understand to be a memory problem...

Back