• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB 3.0: What You Need To Know

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bda1967

Interesting. USB 3.0 could make backups to my external HD much faster. I'm hoping that decent pci/pci-e expansion cards will come out for those of us with new motherboards that are only USB 2.0 capable.

NV

"What you need to know" made me expect mostly negatives, but it seems pretty positive to me. Intel's potential monkey-business aside, 3.0 looks pretty nice. That said, I don't personally find a need for anything faster than 2.0. Sure transferring large files takes a while, but I find most of the time when I'm doing that I can just set it and forget it. Not that I don't think faster USB will be nice, I just don't see myself getting an expansion card for it. Most of my USB transfers are very small in size and wouldn't benefit noticeably from increased speed.

stang8118

This is gonna take a while to catch on probably considering just about everyones devices are still 2.0. I mean you gotta get a 3.0 thumb drive, Ipod, HD, etc etc to take advantage of it i'd assume.