• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Hard drive (H45) for Win XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeff8428

Registered
A friend recently purchased a H45 usb external hard drive. When you connect the usb Win XP recognizes it and says it has installed the hardware, but it does not show up on the control panel anywhere. It renames my compact flash card reader G instead of F as usual. So I know it is naming it F and recognizing it but can't use it to store data because I can't send anything to it. It shows up in the device manager but it will not let me do anything. I think it is working ok but I just don.t know how to name it to send files to it. ANY IDEAS Thanks

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
Go to Disk Management to partition and format the drive. It should work afterwards. It may need to be initialized or have a signiture written to it first.

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
In classic view desktop, rt click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. In standard, control panel > administrative tools, I think but don't have XP loaded at home.