• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Hub/Audio Jack/Sound Card Shenanigans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arklite

Registered
This will be a bit hard to articulate, so let me know if any clarification is needed.

I have a nice mechanical keyboard (G710+) that only lacks one thing- a proper audio jack. I'd like to avoid having to fight the position of my headphone/mic cords while still making proper use of my soundcard. Since the keyboard only has one USB slot, I will probably need a USB hub in order to power the mouse plus whatever else is required for the actual audio solution. At least the USB hub I can position so I have minimal dangling.

So the million dollar question is: is there a way to connect to the soundcard through the USB hub? As far as I can tell most USB to 3.5MM adapters take care of the sound processing themselves, and there are no wires to connect to the soundcard. Is there some solution here that I haven't seen, or is this just the limitation you live with when your keyboard does not have an audio jack built in? Thanks for any help!

You do know about the cable routing on the bottom of the keyboard, right?

Unless the sound card is USB based then I know of no way to route it through a USB hub, unless that hub has audio jacks.

Thanks! I've never seen a USB hub with an audio jack setup, but as it turns out the cable routing works pretty well for keeping the headphones in a nice place without wire problems. Sometimes high tech problems are best solved with low tech solutions, eh?

Thanks! I've never seen a USB hub with an audio jack setup, but as it turns out the cable routing works pretty well for keeping the headphones in a nice place without wire problems. Sometimes high tech problems are best solved with low tech solutions, eh?

Hey, sometimes the low tech solutions are hidden and people don't see them :)

Glad it works for you!!

Back