• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Hubs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

The hub in question.

I'm going to need a hub for my new setup, and I need to be able to connect my mouse, keyboard, mouse pad and headset into it. I was wondering if it would introduce latency, mostly, since this rig's primary purpose is gaming, but I was also wondering if there were other issues I should be worried about as well?

Also, the keyboard in my signature will be changing to a Corsair K70 RGB, and I intend to use the keyboard's (and mouse pad's) lighting features extensively. Should I worry about overloading the USB port the hub is connected to?

Lastly, other options are plentiful, especially in this price range. I only really need 4 ports, but I definitely want it to be powered (will be connected to a 20ft. powered extension cable, and being such a long run, I worry...). Is there a better option?

OP
D

Dlaw

I didn't know such a thing existed! Thank you, C5E/C6 is much cheaper than the powered USB extension cord I was considering, and I'm already going to need to order a bunch of that as well anyway. I can't imagine that would introduce any real latency, but unless someone has some knowledge/experience with this sort of thing, I'm guessing I'll need to just get them and find out.

knoober

Out of curiosity can you link the extension you were looking at? I literally picked up the cheapest 20ft extension and put a 10 port powered hub @ the end of it. When that didnt work i blamed the cheap Chinese hub with incomplete soldering and got a better 10 port hub. As i said my problem is solved but i wonder if perhaps I went with too cheap of an extension cord

OP
D

Dlaw

Yes I can. Give me just a few minutes to get back to my desk, please.

Edit: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812101043&ignorebbr=1

Edit 2: After a little research, something like what you linked won't work for any cheaper than the cord, since I want to also use USB flash drives and the like, so I would need USB3 extenders. They appear to be around the same price as the cable.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dlaw

I bit the bullet and ordered the cords and hub. I'm hoping everything works out, but I can always return them if it doesn't.