• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB keyboard to PS2 connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

At my work we have a CNC router that needs the keyboard replace. I got a nice USB mechanical keyboard, but it isn't working. The controller does have a couple of USB ports, but it won't recognize the keyboard.

It currently has a PS2 keyboard. I've gotten the cheap USB-PS2 adapters that are just a simple pass-through, but it won't recognize the USB keyboard with it. (Yes, I did make sure to have it plugged in before powering on).

I've seen a couple of active USB to PS2 adapters, but they run about $100 to $150 a pop.

Is there anything that should work that isn't that expensive?

Thanks!

from my experience a "nice mechanical keyboard" usually means something USB 2.0 or greater and i've noticed many of the SBCs in machines like that will, at most, support USB 1.1 and that might have something to do with why its not working.

Or it could have something to do with the drivers and and incompatibility between the two.

as for the adapter not working, could be a driver thing still but i've had more modern keyboard not work with those adapters too, something must have changed to prevent it.
this is all assuming this mechanical keyboard isnt a model M or something, and the embedded computer is using some sort of driver system with their OS and not some custom in house built piece of software to handle inputs in which case you might be screwed.

if i were you and needed to replace it i'd go to a thrift store and dig around for a decent, clean, keyboard. you'll find mostly OEM branded boards but more often than not will work with generic input device drivers or controllers and greater chance of success with the adapter, you might even find a PS/2 one

What brand and model is the KB? My Logitech G110 uses a USB hub inside the KB, could be your PC BIOS does not support KB's with usb hubs. I had this issue with 1 of my PC's and a update of the BIOS fixed it.

What brand and model is the KB? My Logitech G110 uses a USB hub inside the KB, could be your PC BIOS does not support KB's with usb hubs. I had this issue with 1 of my PC's and a update of the BIOS fixed it.

RisoPhy:

Post magically merged:

Another ps2 keyboard. You can find them new, even. Why chase ghosts? :)

Coming back to this, I couldn't find any with mechanical switched keyboards from that link, which is the point of the replacment. The membrane switch keyboards fail quickly unless wrapped in plastic in this environment. And it makes it hard to type with the cover on it.

Ok, after looking at that KB, A. This is a gaming KB and B. you have that Fn key for the extra functions so it uses a usb hub.

KB.jpg

Back