• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Mouse loses connection randomly..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v3x

Registered
My USB mouse loses its connection randomly every 2-3 minutes. Its as if i were to unplug the mouse, except i don't hear the USB disconnect sound. I have had this problem before with another mouse but i replaced it with a new one and the problem went away.

As of recently the problem has reoccured and i dont know what to do. Ive gone to my device manager and made sure the usb ports were not set to disconnect in order to save power. Ive searched all over the internet to no avail.

My mouse is a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1, and im using Windows XP.

It seems like when i disabled the "HID-compliant mouse" driver,the mouse works for a little longer but this still has not solved the problem. The picture is below.

Also if i lift the mouse up off my desk, it turns off also and gives me the Code 43 windows error. I get the same error when it turns off from normal use as well. Anyone know how to fix this?

My only easy solution that i can thing of is to buy a USB to PS/2 converter and just plug it in that way..

Last edited:

tinymouse2

Try ^
But if it doesn't work with any mouse then it's either the OS's fault or the fault of faulty hardware (almost definitly the mobo)

Just 1 thing, can anyone else see the pics? They look just like thumbnails even when I expand them :(

720x770

how close is your receiver? I noticed that with MS wireless mice you have to keep the thing right near your mouse which kind of defeats the purpose and makes a wired mouse more practical. I can put mine a foot away and it starts reading bad signal quality. however, on my 7 year old cheapy nexxtech mouse it can receive from across the room easily.

The only other explanation is interference of some sort, but I don't think that applies here since I've had signal problems with MS mice no matter what.

My MS mouse even had a weird scroll wheel problem, it wouldn't work half the time....the fix was to remove your batteries and put them back in.

OP
v3x

v3x

Registered
@Neb: hmm it didnt come with any drivers so ill check online
@tiny: ive resized the pics
@720 its not a wireless mouse

i managed to find a usb to ps2 converter, seems like its hold up right now. but still i have no idea why this is happening its kind of frustrating... the weird part is none of my other usb devices have this problem.

Last edited:

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Worn USB port? Have you tried a different USB port? Also if the USB port you're using is not mounted on mobo or PCI card, check the cable connection inside it may be a bit loose.

OP
v3x

v3x

Registered
Worn USB port? Have you tried a different USB port? Also if the USB port you're using is not mounted on mobo or PCI card, check the cable connection inside it may be a bit loose.

Yes ive tried plugging it into other ports where other usb devices were connected that have been fine all along. There is no difference, still the disconnects. The usb ports are all mounted on the mobo.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
For me, my cell phone knocks out my *wired* mouse. Mostly when I get a call. I'd move my phone as I keep it in a drawer directly under my mouse, but it doesn't really ring for me that often.

I've also seen this happen when using front USB ports as they sometimes don't generate enough power. That's what I'm guessing is happening to you in general. My thought is that you either have a MB that is going bad or a power supply that is not creating enough juice.

RJARRRPCGP

My USB mouse loses its connection randomly every 2-3 minutes.

Reconnect the mouse and try again.

I recently was having problems with loose USB connections. :(

Including an error when copying a file, because the USB flash drive was only in the USB plug 99 percent.

Conumdrum

Hmm how old is the mouse? Had the wires break at the mouse output. I deal with ohh 20-30 USB mice at work and they get slammed by the equipment operators, not saying you do tho.. If it's old might be time for a new one.

How many USB devices you have hooked to the PC? Have you tried a POWERED USB hub to connect the mouse to? One with an AC adaptor?

Mice are cheap enuff (even MS mice) to T-shoot and buy a new one. They ain't made to last forever.

OP
v3x

v3x

Registered
Reconnect the mouse and try again.

I recently was having problems with loose USB connections. :(

Including an error when copying a file, because the USB flash drive was only in the USB plug 99 percent.

Unplugged and replugged countless times

@Conundrum, its not the wireless because it works with my usb to ps/2 converter. the mouse is over 6 years old.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
probably the mouse. if everything else usb works fine in any of the usb ports, then it has to be the offending hardware.

thankfully, a mouse is very cheap to replace unless you are looking for certain features found in the high-end mice.