• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB SD Card Reader Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

passion4tech

I have a Kingston MobileLite G4. I have encountered a problem with the front usb port on my case or motherboard not sure. I have to plug in the mobilelite g4 a couple times to get the computer to recognize it then it gives me a message "This Device can perform faster" USB Mass storage. Which is strange because I am 100% sure I'm plugging into usb 3.0 port and the mobilelite g4 is usb 3.0 device. The problem only happens in front usb ports of the case. When I plug the mobilelite g4 in rear usb 3.0 ports I don't get Device can perform faster message. I never had a problem before with the usb 3.0 port until now recently. I tested speeds benchmark crystal disk the speed results are slower now, I tried updating to latest usb 3.0 drivers still no luck

My system specs

Case: Enermax Ostrog GT ATX Mid Tower ECA3280A-BR

CPU: i7 4790K

Motherboard: Asus Z97 Deluxe

Ram: 16GB

Hard Drives: 1 TB HDD and 256 GB SSD PNY

Power Supply: EVGA 650 G2

Video Card: Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 4GB

Water Cooler: Corsair H105

Monitor: Acer H257HU

There really isn't going to be much that you can do for this. There is a small circuit board for the front ports in the case. You could write to Enermax and see if they have a solution or a replacement board. While possible, it is unlikely the MB or card reader causing the problem both based on your observations and probablility.

:welcome:

There really isn't going to be much that you can do for this. There is a small circuit board for the front ports in the case. You could write to Enermax and see if they have a solution or a replacement board. While possible, it is unlikely the MB or card reader causing the problem both based on your observations and probablility.

:welcome:

Is this a common problem?

Is this a common problem?

I honestly don't know. I wouldn't think so. Even if this is the only case of this happening ever, something isn't right. Since the card reader works fine in the back ports directly on the MB, it is likely an issue with the front ports themselves but I can not guarantee that.

You could try changing the front panel cable connection to a different port on the motherboard. That would rule out loose connection or motherboard issue.

Back