• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB trouble with Epox 8K7A+...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

e_storm

System is as follows:
Epox 8K7A+, 10/17/01 bios
512 pc2100, cas 2
XP 1700+
ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO
SB Live! 5.1 value
WD 40 gig 7200 hd
cheapo nic, modem
Win ME

I recently did a format and reinstall of ME. I had all kinds of problems getting Live! drivers to install, kept locking up (ggrrrr), but thats another story.

Anyway, I can't get the USB ports to work. I've tried installing the usb drivers a number of times and believe I have the most recent ones. I plug a usb device into the port and I get a message saying that i have to install the usb drivers for the port to work. I'm fresh out of ideas. The ports worked fine before the format. Any ideas?

btw.. I did check the usb settings in bios and they are enabled.

OnDborder said:
Was your board OC'd while you reinstalled?
I hear it is good to not be oc'd when installing windows.

No, everything was back to stock during the install.

Maybe try the new 2304 bios.
Did you have the same set up? Change any hardware?
If it worked before the reinstallment of ME, then it kind of sounds like a software/Windows problem.

OnDborder said:
Maybe try the new 2304 bios.
Did you have the same set up? Change any hardware?
If it worked before the reinstallment of ME, then it kind of sounds like a software/Windows problem.

Hardware all remained the same also. I figured its some sort of Driver type thing, but we'll see i guess :). On a side note, you can pretty much forget gettting any worthwhile help from Epox support. I sent 2 emails, got 2 responses, both absolutely worthless. One was a form response not even acknowledging the problem, the second one clearly showed that they did not read my email thoroughly. And people wonder why customers always want to talk to a person on the phone for support, instead of going through phone prompts and emails lol. Guess thats the way things work :beer:

Repoman, thanks for the link, I'll check it out. :)

Thank god you made this thread. Im having the same problem with mine also. I see that its not good to be OCd when installing and thats what I did with this one here. So should I reinstall everything? Ill check out the link also, thanks repo_man.

You're both welcome. It'd be even better if I could tell you exactly how to fix the problem, but I don't know. But that site has a lot of good info.

I figured out why mine wasnt working. It was so simple that I didnt think about it. I guess sometime when I was reinstalling, I must have accidentally disabled all of the USBs in the BIOS on the MB resulting in none of them working. Thanks for all your help again you guys.

Back