• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB/USB2 front mounts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lithan

Disabled
I was wondering if a case with standard USB front mounts can be hooked up to USB2 ports to run USB2 devices or if the cable/ports arent compatible.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
from what i believe, the standard usb cables are exactly the same a usb2 cables therefore you *should* be able to hook up the front ports while maintaining usb2... i believe what makes it usb2 is the technology in the controller, not the cable. it's like a network cable... you can run a 100 mb network on cable originally made for 10 mb...

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Its possible that the MB connections could be different. I doubt it. If it is then a simple hacking could fix it.

Maximouse

Lithan said:
I was wondering if a case with standard USB front mounts can be hooked up to USB2 ports to run USB2 devices or if the cable/ports arent compatible.

It depends on the motherboard and case. I bought 2 cases of the same type and installed my MSI board in one. I had to rewire the cable connector in order to make the front ports work. I just used the pinout info from the MB manual and the pinout info sheet that came with the case.

I used the second case for my A7V333 motherboard and did not have to rewire the connector as the leads were correct for that motherboard.

I bought a third (different) case for my Abit board and the connector was not a standard one. Instead of all the leads hooking up to one plug, each lead had its own small connector which was marked with the info.

Hope this helps.
Al