• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

usb wireless adapters for xbox360?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wasp9166

$100 is steep man for the ms one, like they dont have enuff money, fers

anyway, ive been reading there are some others out there that use the same chipset? anyone got a clue on them?

TheGreySpectre

Agreed on using a wireless router as a bridge. It will probably be half the price of the MS adapter anyways.

OP
wasp9166

wasp9166

well, thing is, i have a router setup downstairs for my girls laptop when shes here, my xbox 360 is upstairs...........is $100 my only option?

i did see the ms one on ebay for $60 but id have to wait , and then after setup, how much does it cost to be able to dl updates and such?

FudgeNuggets

well, thing is, i have a router setup downstairs for my girls laptop when shes here, my xbox 360 is upstairs...........is $100 my only option?

i did see the ms one on ebay for $60 but id have to wait , and then after setup, how much does it cost to be able to dl updates and such?

costs nothing for updates and demos. Costs $40 or $50 a year to play online

rainless

Old Member
Yeah the 360 not having a wireless adapter... then charging 100 bucks for theirs... always sucked.

A gang of shoplifters kept raiding the ones at the best buy near my job. If shoplifters were doing that all over the country... I could see why they quit making them. :D

All you really need is two routers... or one router and an access point.

FudgeNuggets

Yeah the 360 not having a wireless adapter... then charging 100 bucks for theirs... always sucked.

A gang of shoplifters kept raiding the ones at the best buy near my job. If shoplifters were doing that all over the country... I could see why they quit making them. :D

All you really need is two routers... or one router and an access point.

They didn't quit making the wirleless adapter, in fact they just stopping making the G and replaced it with an N

What they quit making was the Broadcomm USB one that worked with the 360.

TheGreySpectre

You can buy another wireless G router for about $30-50, that wireless router can act as an access point/ bridge to your other router (ie it just connects wirelessly to your other router instead of generating its own network) you then connect this via a short network cable to your xbox. This also has the advantage of if you end up with other network devices in the same area as your xbox you can connect them as well.

OP
wasp9166

wasp9166

You can buy another wireless G router for about $30-50, that wireless router can act as an access point/ bridge to your other router (ie it just connects wirelessly to your other router instead of generating its own network) you then connect this via a short network cable to your xbox. This also has the advantage of if you end up with other network devices in the same area as your xbox you can connect them as well.

really, and what would be a dependable cheap router? and where would i set up the second as an access point, in my routers settings on comp? the xbox understands this? all my ports are open on my comp router

rainless

Old Member
really, and what would be a dependable cheap router? and where would i set up the second as an access point, in my routers settings on comp? the xbox understands this? all my ports are open on my comp router

You have to make sure whatever router you get supports bridge mode. I know the buffalo routers all do. Otherwise you'll have to use a custom firmware.

I'm not sure what all the latest and greatest routers are, because I've been using the same one forever.

But if the existing router you have is a G... get another G that has bridge mode. If it's an N... etc.

If you got an access point, usually they just have one ethernet port and they are already in bridge mode. All access points do is connect one device wirelessly to a router.

So just do a search and check out some reviews.

FudgeNuggets

most routers have a bridge mode these days. The 360 doesn't need to undersand it. It just sees the connection and treats it as an ethernet connection. You can get a cheap netgear, belkin or d-link wireless router for like $40. You set it to bridge mode and tell it to connect to your other router which is probably at an ip address of 192.168.1.1 so you give the second router you are connecting your 360 to an address of something like 192.168.1.2 and it treats it as a network device that you can connect other network devices to. I have mine set up that way. My router's address is 192.168.100.1 and my 360s address is 192.168.100.100

OP
wasp9166

wasp9166

most routers have a bridge mode these days. The 360 doesn't need to undersand it. It just sees the connection and treats it as an ethernet connection. You can get a cheap netgear, belkin or d-link wireless router for like $40. You set it to bridge mode and tell it to connect to your other router which is probably at an ip address of 192.168.1.1 so you give the second router you are connecting your 360 to an address of something like 192.168.1.2 and it treats it as a network device that you can connect other network devices to. I have mine set up that way. My router's address is 192.168.100.1 and my 360s address is 192.168.100.100

how do you set it up tho if your not connecting it to a comp ? are you able to do it thru xbox on tv screen?

pejsaboy

It connects wirelessly to your existing router. I'm not sure how an actual access point works, but if you go with a second router in bridge mode you'll be setting it up from your computer, similarly to your existing router.

OP
wasp9166

wasp9166

It connects wirelessly to your existing router. I'm not sure how an actual access point works, but if you go with a second router in bridge mode you'll be setting it up from your computer, similarly to your existing router.

ahh, so just set it to bridge mode, plug it in , connect to ethernet on xbox then go downstairs and my router on comp should see it?

pejsaboy

Well, you'll set it to bridge mode from within its own settings after it's all connected, but that's basically correct. Plug it in, plug in the xbox, and then you'll go to your computer and make all the settings changes to set it up as a bridge and make any changes to various IP addresses that might be necessary.

rumbl3

most people i talk to do this lol ten times cheaper then there stupid wifi adaptor. Also it's nice incase your wifi router takes a dump lol you got a spare. btw i snagged a netgear wifi router just few days ago off newegg recertified for 15 bucks free shipping.

OP
wasp9166

wasp9166

most people i talk to do this lol ten times cheaper then there stupid wifi adaptor. Also it's nice incase your wifi router takes a dump lol you got a spare. btw i snagged a netgear wifi router just few days ago off newegg recertified for 15 bucks free shipping.

cheapest i see on the egg is this one but

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833130044

i dont see any mention of bridgeable...............is it usually listed in specs?