• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB wireless with Windows 2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moline

Hi! I just received a USB wireless adapter, an EDUP Realtek RTL8811CU that I found on Amazon. The listing mentioned 2000 support in spots, but I can't seem to find a driver, earliest they have is XP. I tried the steps in this thread: https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/719773-USB-Wireless-under-Windows-2000?styleid=43 however, I can't get the driver (Win2k.zip) to install. When I select 802.11 AC and navigate to the driver, nothing shows up. When I manually type the driver inf into file browser, it tells me that the inf does not contain info about my hardware. If I install the driver under Network Adapter, it goes, but I get Code 10 upon restart.

If anyone knows how to get this device to work under Windows 2000, please let me know! If this will not work, then what are some cheap USB Wi-Fi/USB Ethernet adapters that work with Windows 2000? Thanks in advanced for your help!

Windows 2000 is so old, this is going to be very difficult. One big part is that XP was the first OS with built-in Wireless support, so for Windows 2000 support, the driver has to provide it's own client to connect to wireless networks on top of just the bare driver.

I think you should take a different approach. Get a cheap WiFi bridge, like this: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-F...=sr_1_2?keywords=ex3700&qid=1636837074&sr=8-2

That's actually a WiFi extender, but it's cheap, reliable, and can be easily configured to be used as a bridge. Configure it to connect to your wireless network, and then connect it to your Windows 2000 computer via Ethernet.

Windows 2000 is so old, this is going to be very difficult. One big part is that XP was the first OS with built-in Wireless support, so for Windows 2000 support, the driver has to provide it's own client to connect to wireless networks on top of just the bare driver.

I think you should take a different approach. Get a cheap WiFi bridge, like this: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-F...=sr_1_2?keywords=ex3700&qid=1636837074&sr=8-2

That's actually a WiFi extender, but it's cheap, reliable, and can be easily configured to be used as a bridge. Configure it to connect to your wireless network, and then connect it to your Windows 2000 computer via Ethernet.

Unfortunately, my laptop's Ethernet/Wireless do not support 2000 as I am installing it on an Ivy Bridge laptop with help from blackwingcat's Extended Kernel. If you guys know some cheap USB Wi-Fi/Ethernet adapters that work, please do let me know.

I'm generally curious, why install such an old version of Windows?

You do not have to justify yourself to anyone for using Windows 2000.
When people ask you why?!? on forums, tell them because it's fun figuring things out. That's what forums are for!

To correctly follow my Windows 2000 instructions for the part listed in my thread - you need Software part of the instructions.
Software part is 17.8 MB and the forum has a limit on attachments so I could not upload it here on this forum.
You can private message me your email and I can email it to you.

You do not have to justify yourself to anyone for using Windows 2000.
When people ask you why?!? on forums, tell them because it's fun figuring things out. That's what forums are for!

To correctly follow my Windows 2000 instructions for the part listed in my thread - you need Software part of the instructions.
Software part is 17.8 MB and the forum has a limit on attachments so I could not upload it here on this forum.
You can private message me your email and I can email it to you.

I don't have a problem at all with someone doing something for a project or challenge, but curious more than anything. If it is for emulating old software? Just to see what Win2000 was like? Etc? Sometimes background info can be helpful. That and I don't personally have the time do struggle with 20+ year old software in my spare time [I deal with crusty old software at work often enough!] that it is interesting to see what the plans are.

Back