• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Use onboard lan or not??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yea i use onboard but i found out it was my stupid router that overflooded and then disconnected

Stiffler69 said:
yea i use onboard but i found out it was my stupid router that overflooded and then disconnected

hehehe sounds like u have been "packeted" :)

Onboard..... BUT if you have good Lan card, then use it for better system performance. Why?? Onboard Lan use as much as 3% of processor's brain to compress and decompress data.

yea i was packeted, and would u say a Dlink ethernet card is better than the onboard?

BY asw7576
Onboard..... BUT if you have good Lan card, then use it for better system performance. Why?? Onboard Lan use as much as 3% of processor's brain to compress and decompress data.
This is true, but you would slow your PCI bus down. i would gladly take a 3% hit on my processor these days. Maybe back in the day when processors were struggling to hit the 1ghtz I would have opted for a PCI network card, but not now. If someone is running a raid card this would slow up his H/D performance a great deal. Add on a nice sound card, modem, & a maybe a video capture card & your PCI bus would be completely choked.
Just my 2 cents though.

I run two servers at work with on-board lan.

One is an ASUS Board and the other MSI.

I've never had a problem with either one.

Now, let's talk about the problems I had with all the PCI NIC cards in my office ! ! ! ! ! :D :D :D

lol @ Alex... as long as u use the right drivers on ur onboard lan, it should be ok :)

ciku said:
lol @ Alex... as long as u use the right drivers on ur onboard lan, it should be ok :)

I keep 5 or 6, new in the box NIC's for such problems.

I don't even trouble shoot 'em anymore. Jerk the old one out, put the new one in.

Kind of like the Hokey Pokey ! ! ! :D :D :D

I have a nf1 asus board with onboard lan, but I'm getting the same problem that someone else mentioned. The network and cable is working perfectly, but Windows insists that the network cable is unplugged. No problems in device manager. But it just wont connect. Anyone have a solution?

my 3COM worked fine on 1 year... and now.. i think it saved me...
my pc is 180m from the switch away.. it worked fine at 100mb/s but lately it got disconnected very often. so i changed the setting to 10FULL, and now it's the only card that still keeps the connection allive..

in the VTC (virtual cable tester) wires 5,6 and 7,8 are seen correctly with lenght and all.. but 1,2 and 3,4 the program doesn`t know.. could that be the problem why i cant use 100 anymore..

or in other words... if only 4 out of 8 cables are used.. could this happen?

thanks.. for any answers

Back