• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Used cards price comparison from $98 to $188

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieOneKenobi

Fresh data from checking today for my own purposes, on a Polish auction site because I live here and E-Bay and Amazon don't work for us.

I chose to include certain cards twice, for background information. Normally, the price is the lowest. However, the lowest prices weren't much lower than the next lowest, so they are not once-off anomalies but simply the best bargains you can find.

These are all BuyNow prices set by the seller.

$188 280x 3 gb
$171 370 (NIB)
$159 7970
$159 270x with 4 gb
$146 7950 3 gb
$146 7870 xt (still lowish, still bargain, more offers)
$133 cheapest 270x
$127 7850 2 gb (average)
$124 7870 xt (lowest, bargain)
$98 7850 2 gb (lowest, bargain)

Did not include 265 or 275 or 285, as the prices were actually rather high and referred to NIB cards. However, 370s were only NIBs, but their prices were surprisingly low in comparison.

Enjoy the data. But since we've got some really knowledgeable people, and I haven't been following ATI cards (or any cards at all) for a couple of years, I would welcome some commentary on the trends — what's good to buy for these prices? What's a steal? What's a no-go?

Those that immediately come to my mind:

1. Does it make sense to pay $133 for a 270 if a $98 can net you a 7850 and $133 a 7870XT/LE (Tahiti core)?
2. Literally at $146 I see both 7950 and 7870XT. The lower card is supposed to still be marginally more powerful. Which one is the better idea to buy and why?
3. Does the NIB 370 look like a good purchase relative to the prices of other cards (e.g. because of optimizations, future proofing, NIB state etc.)?
4. What does the $188 on the 280x look like compared to i) the 79--/7870XT series; ii) the R370 card for $171?

Perhaps feel like ordering the cards from best to worst purchase?

(I'm considering getting one. My arguments vs nVidia are that GeForces die often and Radeons die rarely and are made less cheaply in the mid range. My PSU is an OCZ ZS 650W rated at 80%, otherwise I used an e8600 CPU and not much else, but my cooling situation tend to be poor. Hence, personally, energy would be an important factor. I could spend any of the amounts listed and even exceed the point of diminished return by a certain margin.)

EDIT: Sorry, this want meant to go to the ATI section. Could one of the moderators please move it?

Back