• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Used CPU woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bageland2000

Ok so I'm in a really bad mood and I know that you guys can help me. I just got a used processor form this guy on ebay. First of all the package took 2 weeks to get to my house. The guy said that he was selling a 3.2ghz/512kb/800 northwood processor. Now I got the thing shipped in a very poor plastic case and it was actually a 3.0ghz processor not a 3.2. When I popped the thing i it seemed to be working fine but when i play hl2, fable, day of defeat, or run intel's stability test, the computer will reboot randomly in the game (frequently right at the end of a loading screen) I don't know :bang head what to do. I have the latest bios on my mobo and graphics card. the cpu is running under an xp-90 w/artic silver 5 and is running at 32c at the hottest. One thing I should mention is that I do think I have a virus and am planning on reformatting but I think I've had it for a long time. Thanks a lot guys and merry christmas! :bang head :bang head :bang head

Nexus Realized

I think your first problem is that you paid for a 3.2 and what you got was a 3.0GHz. Have you contacted the seller about this yet?

Nexus Realized

I've used eBay alot of times and never had a problem like this, I guess my first action would be to contact the seller, if he's cooperative great, if not :shrug: SSS care to chime in? :D

OP
Bageland2000

Bageland2000

well like i said, he didn't ship it to me until 2 weeks later and that was after 10 emails and 5 calls to his house. I finally reported him to paypal and i think that scared him enough to send me the processor that I bought (well sort of) any more suggestions would be great

batboy

Senior Moment
The system in your signature is what you put this in? What RAM? I would use auto for the RAM ratio and set the timings to SPD temporarily to see if that helps. Doesn't really sound like a CPU problem, although I guess anything's possible.

Nathan0490

Conroe Hoe
PayPal will say that within 45 days(of original purchase date) u can send him the processor u baught back and he has to fully refund you.

OP
Bageland2000

Bageland2000

batboy. yes my signature is the system that I put it in (obviously just replace the cpu and you've got the current system)I'm not sure what you mean by what RAM because it seems clearly labeled. It's corsair XMS seriers 2x512GB dual channel pc3200 ddr400 running at 2-3-3-6 timings. The one thing I'm not sure how to do is alter ram timings/ratios etc. could u go into a little more detail on how to do it? :shrug: thanks a bunch

batboy

Senior Moment
Ok, PC3200, that's what I wanted to know (RAM speed wasn't mentioned in the siggy). Well, maybe Intel mobos don't have manual RAM ratio and timings options in the BIOS? First thing if you are going to try to run this is to clear the CMOS back to default settings, reformat the harddrive, and reload all the drivers.

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
^^ affirmative.

you can't really blame the instability issues on the seller if you aren't using a clean test bed. back up what you need, reformat, or use a second drive.

but certainly, there is no way a 3.2c should be booting up at 3.0ghz. there is no way to change the multi. assuming you are at 200fsb, what you got there is a 3.0c, and you paid for a 3.2c. that plus the guy taking so long and you having to call and email so much would be enough for me to ask for a refund. it just seems too sketchy.

OP
Bageland2000

Bageland2000

first, im well aware its only a 3.0 and im mad yeah. Ok so i reformatted and there were no problems at all when i stated to install my video drivers, mobo drivers etc. When I started to install hl2 it rebooted on me. geeeez what know?

bixit_62

would that be enough power for that machine? its only 370w. what are your rails at?
also, have you updated the bios?

OP
Bageland2000

Bageland2000

I said that my bios are the newest that they are. I guess that I thought that since enermax's are rated well and since I did do a wattage calculator that I'd be fine. I guess I could try a new ps.

96s10

I would have sent it back as soon as I found out its the wrong one.

SEND IT BACK!

3DFlyer

Banned
96s10 said:
I would have sent it back as soon as I found out its the wrong one.

SEND IT BACK!
Absolutely, but only after I got written correspondence from the seller that he was refunding the money. The guy has already been proven a liar and theif, and on top of that he he left you hanging for 2 weeks.

Even if he gives you your money back, you need to give this guy the negative feeback on Ebay he deserves to warn others. I cannot stand a theif! It may not seem like it to some people, but he IS a theif. He stole your money by hocking something off that was not what was paid for.

Liars and scam artists do not belong on Ebay, or on the Internet at all. Report this guy, and make sure he gets negative feedback, so nobody else will get scammed. That's the best measure anyone can take to rid the internet of these types, is to make others aware.

Hope you get your money back quickly. :)

masakabassist

Send it back and leave some negative feedback if you are positively sure it wasn't a genuine mistake.

I hope you get your money back and a new CPU. Merry Christmas :santa:

OP
Bageland2000

Bageland2000

he posted a picture of the cpu-z printout that said 3.2ghz and all that jazz, so he didn't make a strong effort to send me the right one. Plus he had 4 feedback so he wasn't selling many. Don't worry, he's getting negative feedback. So can I get some votes on whether I sould try a new psu?? I guess I can try to barrow one but that could be quite difficult. Is ther any way to tell how much wattage ur system is using? also how do I check the "rails"? also, is there a way to altar ram ratios and whatnot? thanks

CoreGamer

Honestly, I would just get my money back, even if getting a new PSU works, that processor isnt the one you ordered