• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using 24x mod and changes multipliers in windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thats somthing i will have to try when i swap out procs again. im trying to get my hands on an Iwill or tyan to see if this will work on them.. maybe ill get lucky and pick one or the other up soon. this would be really sweet if it worked on tyan's

I got an MPX2 (IWILL) coming. perhaps in a week ill get it. We're still getting new house ready for move so im not sure on time frame as to when I can bring more info to the table. From what ive seen though, it boots L3, so I would think this will be an easy and quick mod :D will keep posted

elec999 said:
Do you think this mod will work with Tyan s2466 mpx boards.
Probably not. Tyans BIOSes are way too restricted, I dont think u can even use modded XPs ito MPs in them, but I am not sure.

Many people have done the xp to mp mode on Tyan. If anyone gets a chance to test their Tyan with 24x multi, please tell me. I would test it, just dont got any xp mobile :(.

Edit: Are Iwill mpx boards still available, where may I find one. I never seen Iwill, they appear to be very rare in Canada. But current the king of overclockers smp boards.

They are rare everywhere ive looked. I had to snag one from ebay. Hopfully ill get the guy motivated to send quick so i can post results before i move

You can mobile mod any xp to work as a mobile to try on your tyan. all ya have to do is close the last two L5's (last one is already closed of course if you are running smp) after you see if that works or not, then you can follow the first post instructions to see whether or not 24x is feasable

I would love to get my hands on a tyan to try this out, as i know many tyan owners would be interested in getting the most out of their platform.

Walaka7:

I have made a small discovery on the A7M-266D rev 1.03 boards and bios 1010 (I have not tried any other bios yet).
This may be a general limitation with AMD based Dual motherboards but i'm not sure.

After modding both cpu's to get the 24X multiplier to be available. I have noticed a major increase in PCI latency going from anything over a 14X multiplier.

For example. When benchmarking my 160 Gig WDJB hard drives using HDTach 2.7, with any multiplier set higher then 14X, my Hard drive average speed drops from 48 MegaBytes to roughly 20 Megabytes. Also, as a more simple test, run a ping -t in a cmd window to your default gateway ip address before and after setting a 14X mutiplier with Crystal CPUID, you will notice a small but noticeable increase of around 3-4 ms when it should always be less then 1ms.

The only reason I started testing these things out was because I noticed a general sluggishness that is usually not apparent with dual cpu systems.

I'm guessing the reason for the increase in pci latency is due to the higher multipliers or maybe due to the fact that these boards are only physically equipped with a 4bit multiplier and not a 5bit like newer Nvidia/Via based boards.

I'll dig a little more but for now my old *real* MP1900's are going back in to see if this latency exists with those chips if I can figure out how to unlock them.

Perhaps you can do some digging in the mean time.

Good luck.

That certainly doesn't happen on the K7D. I'm running my chips with a 15x multiplier, and there is no apparent latency problems (<1ms pings across 100mb network, WD800JB performing as expected). Of course, this is with non-mobile chips :) Also, there shouldn't be any difference between 13x and 14x as the 4bit/5bit cutoff is 12.5x/13x.

hmm interesting. I never noticed any lag at all so i never even thought about it. cant help on testing though until i get parts swapped to where they should be. I have crap pallys in my sata raid rig as a band aid till i get the asus or may the IWILL back in there with the mobil bartons. I have a 6 gig bigfoot in the asus with the bartons while in testing. Well of course testing is passed, now i need to find time to get things switched around. If things go well, my wife will end up with the K7d and the pallys, The asus will have xp 2400's tbrd modded mobiles and the true mobiles will be in the IWILL thats coming as soon as shipping is negotiated.

The modded mobiles behave the same as true mobiles, only less cache.

i wonder if those are signs of instability
I did do a hard drive benchmark on my RAID array before my rev 1.04 died while running at 17X. my bench mark was about the same as before modding now that i recall. BUt i would like to make some conclusive tests as now im intrigued

Last edited:
Crap, it didn't work for my paly cored XP chips. I have the A7M266-M ver1.03 with bios 1010 and none of my chips worked (after painting and mods). I have: 2 MP 1.2ghz, 2 1.0 gig Durons, and MP modded XP 1600+. Everytime my motherboard booted with the MAX 24x multi and the CoolNow feature was never enabled after all the configurations and WPcredit changes.

Any Clues are welcomed.

snakeman

exactly what birdges were painted/cut/blown? Oh wait a minute.. Where are you showing that they booted at 24x? Would this happen to be in crystal CPUID? That mobo boots off L3, which on a standard pally is your default multiplier. CPUIDs though will show that it booted at 24 x though for some reason and may show your current multiplier as an underclock. AS far as the powernow function being enabled or not.. i need to see screenies of the wpcredit changes and also which version of CPUID you are using.

Yes I was using crystal cpuid latest version and I followed the direction exactly.

I painted the L5 as follows :::: II:I

snakeman

you need the third one painted too to enable mobile which allows powernow use. so it should be :III.
L5 [ 3 ] Closing : Multiprocessing Capable
L5 [ 2 ] Closing : Set to Mobile-mode
L5 [ 1 ] Closing : Canceling the value of L6, and set to 24x multiplier.
L5 [ 0 ] Closed : Maximum SVID by L8

this is taken in short from
http://fab51.fc2web.com/pc/barton/athlon-e24.html

Man i wish my camcorder wasn't already packed :/ I could make this a lot easier on peeps. The link above though is a great source of what each bridge means and what is required for closing.

Last edited:
Well looks like my 1.2 MP is not going to work in Mobile mode. I tried closing all of them also nothing works for me. Looks like wire modding for me after all. It would have been great to slow it down and cool it off during the hot summers.

Thanks for all your help,

snakeman

Ok back again, now I am curious why it does not work for me. Maybe its my motherboard. I wanted to buy some True Mobiles but now I dont believe it will work with my board

snakeman

snakeman_ said:
Ok back again, now I am curious why it does not work for me. Maybe its my motherboard. I wanted to buy some True Mobiles but now I dont believe it will work with my board

snakeman

maybe it's the cpus...

did AMD even have 1.2mp's when the mobile chips that work in laptops with powernow came out?

Great I have it working with one of my MPs now. Quick question should the frequency change in programs such as WCPUID?

Mine does some weird stuff, basically still shows actual bios settings.

snakeman

Use CPU MSR, I think all cpus can be converted. You say u are using a A7M266 (single processor), on that board, u need to change the northbridge registers to turn on power now (how u do it is said in other places on this forum). The bios does NOT automatically start at the powernow multiplier, so u kno. I have one of these boards myself.

Back