• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a computer as a router???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoN068

I am going to have a small LAN party tonite... like 5 people and I don't have a router. In the past, I just used XP's connection thing and a crossover cable. I just got a 16port switch and if I plug a crossover into the uplink to my computer and the internet to my computer and plug everyone into the switch would that work? Or do I have to set it up or get software?

OP
NeoN068

NeoN068

Do you mean like the internet to the uplink and everyone into the ports?

EDIT: But it's not managable. I don't think it will give everyone IPs.

Last edited:

Miknow

I have a linksys switch and it worked with no problems I think it does give everyone a IP also have a router does the same thing.....have you tried it?

krm197

Registered
The way I use my computer as a router for the apartment network I have is to have 2 nics in my system, no crossover cables. One for the cable modem, the other for the network. I just assign myself an ip for the home-network (usually 192.168.0.1) and then hook up a cable to the hub. Everyone else gets an ip address distributed by me.

krm197

Registered
I just use regular cat 5 (non crossover) for all the connections. Essentially, I set up my cable connection as if I was the only one using it, then I set up a home network, then I just enable Internet Connection Sharing in windows XP.

The network wizard should take you through the setup. You will need to choose the internet connection when it asks. If you have 2 NICs then it will show both. It will turn on internet sharing by default.