• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a HDTV as a PC monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

OP
SeasonalEclipse

SeasonalEclipse

Hm Works fine here. Its the HANNspree 32" 16:9 6ms 1080p LCD HDTV ST321MKB for 350 bucks.

720x770

I had a 32'' LCD TV as a monitor before.

without going into all of the cons and pros, I'd suggest a 22-24'' instead.

Old Thrashbarg

Ya, I agree, 32" 1080p really isn't ideal. It's not that the size is necessarily too big, it's just a bit big for the resolution it has, when you're primarily using it up close as a computer monitor. Now, if you're planning on sitting 3-4 feet away from it, then you probably won't have a problem with it.

I'm personally using a 26" Vizio 1080P TV as my monitor. I find that size to be about ideal for my setup. I love it... colors are great, viewing angles are as good as they get... my only real complaint, and this holds true with a lot of TVs, is that the stand isn't adjustable. No height adjust, no tilt, nothing.

Old Thrashbarg

Well, I'd recommend going into a store and looking at your options, see for yourself how a 32" looks from ~2ft away, since everybody's preferences are different. You might be fine with it.

But I'd certainly say it'd be worth looking at one of the 26" real 1080p TVs, at least. (Be careful, most of the smaller TVs aren't actually 1920x1080 native, and most are just TN panels.) Mine's a Vizio VL260M, but there's also a model from LG using the same panel, the 26LU55. I got mine at Sam's Club for $348, FWIW.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
Also mind you that when using a TV as a monitor, not all are capable of displaying clear text. Some are really fuzzy and look like crap when used as a monitor. Make sure to google the model you're looking at, and see if people mention anything about using it as a computer monitor.

Old Thrashbarg

Also mind you that when using a TV as a monitor, not all are capable of displaying clear text. Some are really fuzzy and look like crap when used as a monitor.

I'd say that most often happens on the TVs that actually have some other native resolution on the panel than is stated in the specs. Like the 720P ones that actually use 1366x768 or 1440x900 panels, things like that. The problem is that not all of them will accept an input of the native panel resolution without scaling it somehow or another, so yes, definitely check around before dropping the cash.

Now, my Vizio did have some text problems through the HDMI inputs, but that was solved by going into the settings and adjusting the sharpness way down, turning off noise reduction, adaptive contrast, film mode, basically all the TV-type features that're counterproductive with a PC input... now it looks perfect. That could be part of the problem some people are having with other TVs as well.