• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a Router as a Access Point?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raccoonone

I want to add wireless to my home network (which is wired). But it seems that APs are as expensive if not more expensive than a wireless router. Can I buy a wireless router (LINKSYS WRT54G in particular) and use it as an AP?

JDXNC

Yes, I beleive you just turn off the DHCP and let the other router handle it.

OP
R

raccoonone

Thanks! I figured you could, but I didn't want to buy one and then find out that I couldn't.

cullam3n

Procyon Lotor said:
Thanks! I figured you could, but I didn't want to buy one and then find out that I couldn't.

Yes you can. I currently have an BEFSR41 handling my DHCP and a WRT54G for my wireless. :)

four4875

and it is a good idea to plug the routers into each other using computer numbered port on each, so te 2 networks will be able to freely communicate. if you used the WAN port of the other one it would like isolate the 2.

OP
R

raccoonone

Cullam3n said:
Yes you can. I currently have an BEFSR41 handling my DHCP and a WRT54G for my wireless. :)
Awesome, that's exactly the same models I would have.

WAN port? Do all routers have those? My BEFSR41 doesn't have a port marked "WAN".

four4875

is it marked something like internet or cable / dsl modem instead?

just curious, but why use the BEFSR41 to handle the load of processing and such and leave the power of the WRT54G being wasted? dont you have crashing problems with the BEFSR crashing when having high amounts of traffic? ive had nothing but trouble with the one at work. and be sure to update its firmware, theres some security holes on it.

edited typos...

cullam3n

four4875 said:
is it marked something like internet or cable / dsl modem instead?

just curious, but why use the BEFSR41 to handle the load of processing and such and leave the power of the WRT54G being wasted? dont you have crashing problems with the BEFSR crashing when having high amounts of traffic? ive had nothing but trouble with the one at work. and be sure to update its firmware, theres some security holes on it.

edited typos...

I did have my WRT54G handling my wireless and internet connection and DHCP not too long ago. It was even modded, had a 80mm fan on top running off the 5v line. Problem was, I tended to get dropped randomly (maybe once or twice per day), and a few weeks ago it took a dump and never came back. My friend hooked me up with another WRT54G (newer model) and since I let the BEFSR41 do all the work, I haven't had any problem with the WRT54G or my wireless at all.

OP
R

raccoonone

Oh ya, there's one marked Internet. That's where my cable modem is plugged in. I see now, that's the WAN port. And the suggest was that I don't connect that port on one router to the LAN on the other, instead it's best to connect two LAN ports together?

four4875

yeah. the LAN ports are pretty much a 5 port switch, 4 ports for computers and the 5th conected ot the routing done by the router. the router firewalls the connection and offers a DHCP server and that fancy stuff. if hooked to the WAN port the connection goes throught the actual router part and gets blocked from its network caus it thinks the stuffs coming from the internet. but when connecting LAN ports it doesnt go through the routing part and it acts like they're all on one big switch with a couple access points on it.

hope i managed to explain why it works like that, if not i could prolly draw a picture to explain it better.