• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a Temp Probe for CPU Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyborg

This weekend I'll build my new system.
the question I have is:

The fan I have is the A2018 from thermaltake This One

I like the idea to have the fan run at slow speed when CPU temps are low, like when the system is idle or I cruise the internet, but when the system is under load and the CPU starts to heat up, I want the fan to speed up.
Now this fan comes wit a temperature probe and it shows to install it under the CPU where the pins are.
Is this a save way to do, or are there other/better ways to accomplish this?

here is the rest of my system:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
INTEL Q6600
Thermalright Ultra-120 EXTREME
HIS X1950PRO (waiting for the 8800 to come down after the release of the next gen cards)
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2X1Gig) DDR2 800
OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply
Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

aja

1: This is not the best way to do it - Rather connect the fan directly to the motherboard and enable fan speed scaling in the BIOS if your motherboard supports it. The motherboard uses the temperature sensor within the CPU or in the socket to determine the required fan speed.

2: This is not the greatest fan to use, unless you specifically want to use it for the auto temp monitoring feature. The problem with these temp monitoring fans is that it is difficult to get them to reach their top rated RPM, even when the component is getting very hot.

3: Anyway, I would not attempt to shove it between the CPU and heatsink, this could cause mounting problems, even though the sensor is thin. Instead I would tape it to the metal on the heatsink close to the motherboard and then adjust the fan controller accordingly. This way you can still allow the fan to get 'heat' to increase it's speed.

OP
Cyborg

Cyborg

thanks, that's pretty much what I thought.
I will leave the probe off and use the MB fan speed in BIOS